Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vett93

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
California
I received my order of a new 2020 27" iMac from B&H today. Upon unboxing, I saw the power cord just lays at the bottom of the box, as opposed to nicely packed shown in some unboxing videos.

Do I get a returned iMac from B&H?

IMG_1783.jpg

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
You got a previously opened box. Did you get a standard off the shelf model or one that had something extra added? They'd have to open the device to install anything that was BTO.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
BTO = build to order.

Meaning it's configured differently than the base model that Apple ships. You can see the base models on Apple's website. Anything that you click to change, such as increasing the RAM, make it a BTO model because they have to change the configuration. Apple RAM is expensive... so they can up the RAM from a non-BTO model themselves because it's an easy upgrade for them to do. More profit for them, possibly a cheaper price than Apple for you.

Not saying it has been upgraded... they could have merely tested the device to ensure it was working properly. Since you didn't purchase it through Apple, they are responsible for returns. By checking the device first, they know that it was functioning when they sold it to you.

vett93

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
California
The extras on this unit are i9, 5700XTGGPU, and 2TB SSD. These are not upgradable by B&H.

I just called B&H and they told me it was brand new and never opened before. I asked for a refund and they refused.

• Wow
Reactions: decypher44

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The extras on this unit are i9, 5700XTGGPU, and 2TB SSD. These are not upgradable by B&H.

Those options are all Build to Order, but they have to be done at the factory. So B&H would have ordered it from Apple with those options.

How much RAM? If it is more than 8GB, it is possible B&H added that. You'd need to pull the RAM to see the configuration and I cannot recall if Apple brands their factory RAM or not.

vett93

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
California
Those options are all Build to Order, but they have to be done at the factory. So B&H would have ordered it from Apple with those options.

How much RAM? If it is more than 8GB, it is possible B&H added that. You'd need to pull the RAM to see the configuration and I cannot recall if Apple brands their factory RAM or not.
8 GB of RAM.

Sully

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Paying full price for an openbox item is a good reason, IMO.
Yes. And, especially if B and H is ordering 8 gig RAM models from Apple, installing non Apple RAM, and marking it up. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but if it did, it's sketchy behavior on the retailer's part.

EDIT: there was no RAM upgrade. Thanks weaztek.

Last edited:

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
The OP already said there is no RAM upgrade.

Literally the only thing I would care about is that it has the one year warranty from Apple.

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
It's apparent that my philosophy on purchased equipment is far different from yours and the OPs. No biggie.

cczhu

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2018
I would just return it. This just isn't right for a brand new machine over 3 grands...

vett93

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
California
I would just return it. This just isn't right for a brand new machine over 3 grands...
When I ordered the iMac, B&H website shows that it has an extended return. See the top of the screenshot below. However, they also have a store policy that computers are not returnable. It is on another page of their website. I'll file a complaint to BBB.
Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 2.14.08 PM.png

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

cczhu

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2018
When I ordered the iMac, B&H website shows that it has an extended return. See the top of the screenshot below. However, they also have a store policy that computers are not returnable. It is on another page of their website. I'll file a complaint to BBB.
View attachment 976749
that's why I always prefer to order through Apple. They take return with no question.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I have been buying from B&H for 15 years and think they are probably the all time best online retailer especially for camera equipment, I have probably spent at least $10,000 with them on photographic gear. I also think their computer return policy is very clear, hence I have only bought one macbook from them. You can get a great discount from B&H, but you need to be very sure you do not want to return any computer you get from them. Their camera equipment return policy is very different.

Last edited:

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Unfortunately, you ran into B&H's less than ideal return policy. It has been discussed here many times before.

Like another poster, I have been a satisfied B&H customer in the past - but only for photography gear and a few sound system components. I buy all my Apple stuff directly from Apple. IMO, their reliability and service is well worth the few extra $$.

vett93

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
California
I have been buying from B&H for 15 years and think they are probably the all time best online retailer especially for camera equipment, I have probably spent at least $10,000 with them on photographic gear. I also think their computer return policy is very clear, hence I have only bought one macbook from them. You can get a great discount from B&H, but you need to be very sure you do not want to return any computer you get from them. Their camera equipment return policy is very different.
I have spent way more than $10K per year with B&H in the last 5 years on camera equipment and other stuff. The issue here is not computer return policy. It looks like that I got an open box from them. Can you see the difference?

cczhu

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2018
I have spent way more than $10K per year with B&H in the last 5 years on camera equipment and other stuff. The issue here is not computer return policy. It looks like that I got an open box from them. Can you see the difference?
they should get you a replacement at least or a discount.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
isn't the cord attached by like a sticker?
On mine, the power cord was folded and secured by a transparent sleeve ... then that was inserted into one of the square cavities in the foam molding as seen in the photo of the original post. Then the cavity was covered with a sticky transparent tape with a pull tab. It was not able to float about in the shipping carton potentially damaging the computer in any way.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
It looks like that I got an open box from them.
An incorrectly packaged power cord does not necessarily mean it is an opened box. It could have been incorrectly packaged at the factory.
A better indicator of an opened box is a separated tape seal. What was the condition of the pull tab?
IMG_5719.jpg

Last edited:

vett93

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
California
An incorrectly packaged power cord does not necessarily mean it is an opened box. It could have been incorrectly packaged at the factory.
A better indicator of an opened box is a separated tape seal. What was the condition of the pull tab?
View attachment 977087
I was not paying attention to the tape seal as I was quite excited about a new toy. I just checked the tape seal again and it looked a little different from yours. I think I want to give this issue a rest. I have gathered enough info about what to do with it. Thanks all anyway.

Last edited:

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
The cord should have been coiled up, inside the pocket, covered by a clear top sticker not unlike a pre-packaged fruit cup.

The iMac itself has the white cloth outer cover, sealed by the EULA sticker. There is a final, clear wrapper once that is removed.

The accessories kit doesn't have any kind of stickers or seals, but the keyboard has a clear wrapping, and the mouse a white cloth wrapping.

Apple puts a lot of effort into their packaging, and the unboxing experience, so it's very apparent when an item is not in the state in which it left the factory.

That also applies to refurbs, or repair items. After sending my Watch for service, it returned packed in a presentation quality white gift box, with the watch inside a clear wrapper, like a brand new item, despite being a well-worn example with nicks, scratches and all.

Personally, when I buy a new item, I expect any factory seals present to be intact, especially a costly item.

There are some costly items where it's not unusual for them to be unboxed and opened, for examination, but with seals and tags left intact, like a watch. But computers don't belong in that category.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.