Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cursor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
A new video showing a dimensional concept of the new iMac design, following the recently released patent, has been released.

Take a look:

I did not render this, but I think it looks nice, although I doubt it would be black. An aluminum base stand with clear glass (if possible) would probably be more Apple-like. This could be the innovation and excitement that would bring Apple back to the headlines for their industrial design, like the early 2000s.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Icaras and nihil0

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Not to be a negative Nancy, but I feel that Apple should shelve the appearance tweaks and focus more on fixing bugs. A new Ferrari with a broken engine looks beautiful.. but it won't take you from point A to point B.

Reactions: TVreporter

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Agreed, but design usually drives buzz with consumers.
You're right, and that is where I think customers need to change their thought patterns. Performance is more important than appearance. A beautiful exterior isn't going to mean much if the operating system is riddled with bugs. However, a scratch or dent in the casing isn't going to change the fact that a rock-solid operating system works correctly.

I believe if customers start believing in that, then manufacturers will begin to change to give customers what they want.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Seems like it takes up a lot of desk space, and would be a nightmare to ship or transport.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Not a fan of concept videos at all. They just put in to peoples minds the way something is and build a level of hype that isn't real.
Typically then people are let down when the real thing comes out because for whatever reason they have some high expectations of something that isn't realistic coming out.

Reactions: revmacian and mj_

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
So a laptop with no trackpad that I can’t close nor change the angle of the display on, nor is it portable. I don’t see this being a thing as rendered.

It’s essentially a bad Laptop because the built in keyboard and the general presence on the desk And well the iMac uses laptop parts.

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
This is a rendering--that is, a rendering of someone's idea. It isn't meant to be just a literal depiction of Apple hardware, but it is meant to project the essence and zeitgeist of the computer. In that way I think the video is excellent; it really reaches for what could be epic and dramatic about a new iMac.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2009
"So a laptop with no trackpad"....

Touchscreen? A 20+" desktop iPad running MacPad OS?

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
This is a rendering--that is, a rendering of someone's idea. It isn't meant to be just a literal depiction of Apple hardware, but it is meant to project the essence and zeitgeist of the computer. In that way I think the video is excellent; it really reaches for what could be epic and dramatic about a new iMac.
It matched the info from the patent ....
clearly I know it is a rendering and not a real product at this time.

"So a laptop with no trackpad"....

Touchscreen? A 20+" desktop iPad running MacPad OS?
Jobs already proved that outside of handheld / tablet devices that touchscreens aren’t desired in the computer world.
I have zero desire to sit at a desk using a touchscreen. Nor use a crippled os in a desktop setting.

JacobHarvey

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2019
Somewhere
Looks like an impractical, oversized laptop (is the curved material connecting the keyboard and monitor some flexible plastic, or is the whole iMac permanently fixed in that position? Also it looks like the keyboard will always be effectively stuck to the iMac at a short distance from that massive screen).

Good on the person for putting in the effort to imagine something like this

But from a practical and ergonomic standpoint it seems like an absolutely awful design

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Looks like an impractical, oversized laptop (is the curved material connecting the keyboard and monitor some flexible plastic, or is the whole iMac permanently fixed in that position? Also it looks like the keyboard will always be effectively stuck to the iMac at a short distance from that massive screen).

Good on the person for putting in the effort to imagine something like this

But from a practical and ergonomic standpoint it seems like an absolutely awful design

The person didn’t just imagine this, it is based on the recent Apple patent that was covered on Mac Rumors if you want to read more about it.

Apparently the curved material is flexible glass, and the stand at the back is adjustable. So it’s not quite as bad as you think, but still poor.

Reactions: Icaras

jjdodders

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
This single-piece-of-glass design is awful. I can't imagine it being comfortable to use and integrating the keyboard and assumably a track pad into the unit means that you either have to stretch your arms across the desk to avoid having the screen uncomfortably close to you, or... having the screen uncomfortably close to you and right in your face. I hope this is apple just designing stuff and patenting it so that other people don't/can't design it. Because this is really horrible.

Reactions: Ifti

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
What a beautiful nightmare. I wouldn't put it past Apple to do, though. Because, you know, courage.

Although I don't oppose a touch-enabled iMac a la Surface Studio, it could not be the exclusive form of input.

Given that Apple doesn't have something software-wise that would work for such purposes currently, I don't think it's in the cards anytime soon.

Still, I really hope Apple does something interesting with the iMac, even if it means just making it look like the current Pro Display XDR.

Those GIGANTIC bezels really, really have to go, but the stand is nice-looking, if limited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.