New 21"4K iMac graphic performance vs. old 21" iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jkoerber, Oct 13, 2015.

1. jkoerber macrumors newbie

jkoerber

Hi all,

I, like so many other folks have been waiting patiently for the release of the new 21" iMac which happily came out today. I've had my iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011) model now for a long time. I'm running OSX 10.6.8 (for development reasons). My iMac has 12GB memory and a recently replaced 1TB 7200 RPM drive and the stock AMD Radeon 6770M graphics card with 512MB Vram.

I do play a good bit of online games, mostly Steam (OSX and doze), and a variety of online games like Guild Wars 2, RIFT, ArcheAge, and most recently Elder Scrolls Online. Most of these games play pretty darn well on the current iMac as long as I don't go overboard on the detail levels and higher end settings.

I was bummer that the new 21" iMac has no discreet graphics card option (as it would be a sweet spot machine for gamers), but in doing a little research saw that the Intel Iris Pro 6200 is faster than my current iMac's discreet graphics card. I found this pretty good site for comparing my old graphics card with todays graphics engines: http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...Desktop-vs-AMD-Radeon--HD-6770M/m30277vsm7746

It seems to show that even an on-chip graphics engine like the Iris Pro 6200 is still about 122% faster than my discrete graphics card.

So the REALLY BIG question is, with the Iris Pro having to deal with a MUCH higher resolution and number of pixels, what will the reality be of gaming at 4K resolution. Will that 122% boost in speed get sucked up by the retina display, and end up giving me worse performance? Or is it somewhere in-between?

I found a great article on Ars Techna from Lee Hutchinson about gaming on the new iMac 27" model with a discrete graphics card, but with the new iMac being so new (just launched today). Maybe I should wait to see how the new iMac fares with framerates compared to older non-retina iMacs.

I'd love to hear other's comments and thoughts on what they expect, until we start seeing some benchmarks for this new retina iMac 21" with the Iris Pro 6200.

(Please no responses from trolls asking "why are you gaming on an iMac" - stick to the topic)

2. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Even the high-end desktop-class GPUs can't handle 4K gaming for modern titles, so no, 4K gaming is out of the question unless it's a game with very low requirements. Luckily, you can always play games in lower resolutions like 1080p where the Iris Pro 6200 could pull out some ok framerates at moderate settings.