Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marylpn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2012
Has anyone encountered this with their new iMac? I purchased the 21.5 inch upper end iMac w/fusion drive in December. However, one concern is my screen will suddenly go black while I am in the middle of something. After maybe 3-5 seconds comes back on. This has occurred numerous times since I got it in December. Not a huge issue, but for the money shouldn't be happening.
Any ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks, Mary

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
are you sure that the screen does go black when you are typing or moving the mouse?
In my MBP I have an energy saver option that the screen will go black after 5 mins of inactivity to save battery. Have you checked your energy saver preferences?

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
Maybe your iMac is suffering from dissociative personality disorder and it believes that it's a Mini ?

marylpn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2012
are you sure that the screen does go black when you are typing or moving the mouse?
In my MBP I have an energy saver option that the screen will go black after 5 mins of inactivity to save battery. Have you checked your energy saver preferences?

Thanks for you suggestion. It isn't the energy saver, I have checked the settings and mine is set for 10 minutes of inactivity. Plus this has happened while I've been typing. It only last for several seconds and then the monitor comes back to life but I don't think it is normal for it to be doing this and wondered if anyone else was noticing the same issue.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Maybe your iMac is suffering from dissociative personality disorder and it believes that it's a Mini ?

Comment of the century.:D

Thanks for you suggestion. It isn't the energy saver, I have checked the settings and mine is set for 10 minutes of inactivity. Plus this has happened while I've been typing. It only last for several seconds and then the monitor comes back to life but I don't think it is normal for it to be doing this and wondered if anyone else was noticing the same issue.

Make a new User account, login into the new one and see what happens there, if it's gone there there is a problem with the Normal User Account.

But, I don't think it is, you could always try to run Apple's Hardware Test (Hold D at startup), see if it returns any errors.

You could also look in the system Log, might find some clues there.

Or, it's just a loose display connector.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
If it does happen when you are typing is defenitively not normal at all.
Check if with a new user does the same just to exclude an option you might have flagged with out remembering and if the same problem happens again contact apple.

marylpn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2012
Comment of the century.:D

Make a new User account, login into the new one and see what happens there, if it's gone there there is a problem with the Normal User Account.

But, I don't think it is, you could always try to run Apple's Hardware Test (Hold D at startup), see if it returns any errors.

You could also look in the system Log, might find some clues there.

Or, it's just a loose display connector.

Thank you for the suggestions, new user account didn't make a difference. I will try system log and see if it shows anything. I tried the Hardware test and said everything was good. Just weird, I will give Apple a call and see if they can troubleshoot. Problem is, it doesn't happen all the time. Just randomly, no pattern to it.
Appreciate the help, Mary

plasmaj

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2008
Has anyone encountered this with their new iMac? I purchased the 21.5 inch upper end iMac w/fusion drive in December. However, one concern is my screen will suddenly go black while I am in the middle of something. After maybe 3-5 seconds comes back on. This has occurred numerous times since I got it in December. Not a huge issue, but for the money shouldn't be happening.
Any ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks, Mary

This just happened to me as well on my new 27" imac (Fusion i7). Did you ever contact Apple about it? This was the first time for me, so don't want to panic yet, but am wondering if it is a common issue.
To answer another question, I was typing for about 2 minutes when this happened suddenly in the middle of doing so. The screen returned to normal after about 5 seconds.

xrs74

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
This has happened several times to my iMac 27 i7 fusion, maybe 6 times since January. Screen goes black 2-5 secs then back. Any idea?

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
My old 2011 iMac has this symptom. It was getting worse over time to the point it would crash and kernel panics occurring and I couldn't boot at all.

Took it back for repair and turned out video flex cable botched.
Could be different thing for your machine. Just want to pour in some idea.

jeremyschaar

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2011
Apple advice

I've been having this problem as well with a 21.5 inch iMac I bought in September 2013. Called Apple and they said it could be the graphics card or something else (some other loose connection I'm forgetting about). Basically, I have to take it in to an Apple store and have them look at it. I do have a year to do it though.

CTMoore

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
I've had this same problem with my 27" 2011 iMac, it's probably the LED backlight board. I've gone through 4 of them. Apple replaced the graphics card a year ago and I've gotten so frustrated with it I just threw it on eBay and hope to make some money back.

marsmissions

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Washington, US
I've had this same problem with my 27" 2011 iMac, it's probably the LED backlight board. I've gone through 4 of them. Apple replaced the graphics card a year ago and I've gotten so frustrated with it I just threw it on eBay and hope to make some money back.

Making money by defrauding ebay users with a defective computer is always the best idea..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.