Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Colin Hoernig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Northwest Indiana
Every time I load in a CD or DVD, whether to burn it, or to play a game, or even when I was installing XP via Bootcamp, my superdrive on my new iMac is really loud, like a loud humming sound, kind of like the cd/dvd is spinning a little off and its vibrating. I'm not sure if this is normal, because it only happens when the CD rev's up to load something, and doesn't happen when idling.

If this is a problem, I do have Applecare and it would be covered under warranty I suppose.

Thank you for the help,
Colin

Colin Hoernig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Northwest Indiana
Ah, well thanks for the confirmation guys.

Mine seems to be worse on the XP Professional installation disks, doesn't do it at all with the Vista disks, and doesn't do it at all with the restore disks. Mainly just blank CD's/DVD's and other miscellaneous disks.

A7X21112

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
San Diego
Yeah wtf

My imac 2.8 i bought in february is loud as **** when i toast(burn)/game

I don get it either:apple::apple::apple::apple:

Quote Of he Day:

100 Mhz, 32 mb ram, 1 gb hard drive before id touch a top spec windows

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
Ah, well thanks for the confirmation guys.

Mine seems to be worse on the XP Professional installation disks, doesn't do it at all with the Vista disks, and doesn't do it at all with the restore disks. Mainly just blank CD's/DVD's and other miscellaneous disks.

that is so odd

Mine is lout too but...

i put in some old (mid 80's) "Wings" CDs and they are so much louder than others. They do look a little thicker though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.