New 24-Inch Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Axemantitan, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

If the new display plugs into the Magsafe port on the MBP, then does the display then plug into the wall outlet? I couldn't see any additional power cable in the pictures. If this is the case, would the computer then be powered from the display?

2. rosler28 macrumors newbie

My assumption is that the monitor plugs into the outlet and then powers the laptop. So you roll up to the monitor, connect and while you play the laptop is charged.

So the monitor is available in Nov...but when in Nov?

I want one :)

3. transamman1999 macrumors member

yep, that's correct. the monitor has 2 cables coming out the back, one to a wall outlet(power), and the other to your laptop. the cable going to your laptop will charge any magsafe compatible laptop. the usb cable also makes the monitor's speakers, microphone, and iSight camera work with your laptop

4. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

So nice to see a new display that won't work with my Mini or my white Macbook. Great, just great.

5. transamman1999 macrumors member

hold on there dude, the monitor doesn't come out for another month and by then i'm 246% sure that Apple will have introduced any and all necessary adapters/converters to make the LED cinema display completely backward (and forward) compatible!

6. Axemantitan thread starter macrumors 6502

So you are saying that the laptop does not power the display, that the display is powered from the wall outlet? (I assume that the cable was omitted from the pictures on Apple's website for cosmetic reasons.)

7. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

It would have made sense to ship as it is now but with 1 addition, a DVI port on the back of the display. I wouldn't care if they included a cable or not, but having the port available would have been nice.

Sure, they will likely have some adapter, but they are purely marketing this $899 investment NOW so that people will have to pair it with a new MB or MBP.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

source: http://www.apple.com/uk/displays/gallery/#image5
    ...cause images speak louder than words.

Attached Files:

9. Axemantitan thread starter macrumors 6502

I found this image on the Apple Store showing the power cable:

[​IMG]

I was looking up the Mini Displayport on Wikipedia and I saw that the full-size Displayport is a competitor to HDMI. Is this also true of the Mini Displayport? Does this also indicate that if Apple ever decides to get with the times and put a Blu-Ray Disc player in Macs, then the display will be ready for it already?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

10. transamman1999 macrumors member

nevermind, they beat me to it

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

sorry... that's magic of optical fibre! :D