New 24" LED Apple Cinema Display - Eye lash in the screen..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by steveOooo, Sep 10, 2009.

1. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

Just received the new ACD 24" and have noticed what appears to be an eyelash on the top left of the screen - it appears to be stuck on the glass in the inside of the display - not on the actual lcd panel. I guess its a Chinese Eyelash from the factory - 'Designed by GOD, Made in China' is not written on the eye lash!

anyhoo.... whats the procedure - do apple collect and send another or do i have to cart it off to a applestore - would prefer they swap it via courier. I guess this is just one of those things - they obvioulsy dont check every screen for stuff like this...

edit - some pics...

1. Whole of screen - mouse cursor is just underneath the eye lash

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/220/image137m.jpg

2. Close up - http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8905/image141s.jpg

3. another cu - http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4/image147v.jpg

Ive also posted on Apple discussions support pages - funnily enough, no responses!, the latest tech now comes with a eye lash

Dear Steve Jobbies,

There is a eye lash in my soup, er i mean in my NEW cinema display... even with the eye lash, im very impressed (not with lack of inputs, lack of on/off button, but hey, its like getting a 24" imac - well sort off.. in two bits!)

2. foshizzle macrumors regular

we understand your frustration but anyone at macrumors or apple forums isn't going to be able to reach in and pull the eyelash out. The best thing to do is call apple. If you just received it, it will be under warranty and you should be able to get a replacement. Or take it to the nearest store.

Glad you like it though. I was thinking about getting one, but I may get the Dell 2408WFP instead. It has a multitude of additional ports, plus it swivels on its base into portrait mode. I really like the idea of less cables to worry about with the ACD, but i also like to be able to plug my desktop computer/solaris file server into it if I need to do anything on that.

3. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

i know, i will call apple today first thing - i know there wont be any problems, just registering it as its quite obscure thing to find at least it wasnt a scratch which was my first thought.

4. novagamer macrumors member

You're going to think I'm kidding but I have the same thing in almost exactly the same spot. I don't have any "flickering" problem with the Display so I decided to live with it and not play the rma lottery.

I've debated removing the glass and trying to get rid of it but that could introduce dust which would be even more annoying. If you come up with a solution please post to let us know the outcome.

5. btownguy macrumors 6502a

I recently ordered a refurbished 24" ACD and had the same thing. I returned it for a full refund. As long as you're within 14 days I think they will take it back no questions asked. FYI, I ordered a 2nd 24" ACD and it had both something under the glass and A DEAD pixel. I returned it as well for a full refund. I went into the Apple Store and bought a brand new 24" ACD (with $100 education discount) and it was perfect.

Call Apple and tell them you want to return it. They'll take it back. Heck, they even paid for the return shipping with me.

6. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeh apple are pretty cool and chilled out allround - i ordered a mbp, ipod touch but changed my mind having just won the previous model mbp of ebay for £600 cheaper! they picked it up and refunded me no probs. They even ignored the fact i bought the £7 snow leopard upgrade disc (i probably shouldnt brag)

anyhoo, im sure theyll pick up and refund me no probs - novagamer - why the funk would you want to go to all the bother of removing the glass when apple would just swap them around with minimal fuss.

btownguy and novagamer - do you think its an eye lash? perhaps if its in the same place, it must be some sort of scratch, it looks like its on the otherside of glass, not directly on the lcd panel

7. btownguy macrumors 6502a

mine was in a different spot (bottom left) and I just assumed it was a very large piece of dust. There have been several threads about people buying refurbs that had dust in them.

8. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeh couldnt find any 'iLash threads? maybe they do it for a laugh at the factory? at least it wasnt a big ol pube :eek::(

EDIT - Having gt responses from other forums and searches, - seems like its a fairly common scratch - apparently scratches and dust are quite common with these displays - shame they cant increase QC on these, i guess there selling too many to check each one.

Edit 2- have just called apple - 1. number on the website has changed
    2. poor line - really loud and distorted - guy on other line had thick indian accent and was hard to understand - primarily cos of the line. He wanted the serial number,. which ment turning the display over, and to try and read a microscopic serial number upside down! way to go apple, make ur serial number so small, you need a magnifying glass to see it!
    3. got put through to an american - was really quite line - complete opposite to the other guy, he started off apologising - then hung up on me! i guess he pressed the wrong button. He then called back 2mins later apologising for hanging up on me. He set up a straight swap though no questions asked - he said 'sometimes this can happen in transit and we will double check the return item to make sure it hasnt got a crack in it'.

Chuckle chuckle vision, chuckle vision... do do dah dah dee deed doo doo ( a popular childrens tv show in england - search 'The Chuckle Brothers on youtube) - too me, to you to me to you....