Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

New iMac 27" maxed out or iMac Pro (late 2017) 3,2 / 64 / Vega 56

• New iMac

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • iMac Pro

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters

sommarvila

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
So, I am wondering where to go on this. I worked with graphic design, video/photo editing and I am currently on a Mac Pro that needs replacing. I am looking at either getting a used iMac Pro (3,2 8 core, Vega 56, 64 mb ram) or the new iMac 27" maxed out 3,6 i9, 64 gb ram and the Vega 48. The price is roughly the same. What would you guys do?

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
So, I am wondering where to go on this. I worked with graphic design, video/photo editing and I am currently on a Mac Pro that needs replacing. I am looking at either getting a used iMac Pro (3,2 8 core, Vega 56, 64 mb ram) or the new iMac 27" maxed out 3,6 i9, 64 gb ram and the Vega 48. The price is roughly the same. What would you guys do?
For you? iMac Pro.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
If you can, it may be worth waiting until early June to see what wwdc has in store with the new Mac Pro and display.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The i9 should be faster than the base Xeon W and maybe even slightly faster than the 10-core, looking at benchmarks online for those chips. The question is whether it will throttle after its rendering a long video. The iMac Pro has better thermals and ECC ram so it’s less likely to crash when you leave it to render. But the new iMac could be faster for most other tasks. So it depends what percent video will be part of your workflow and how long your videos typically are. If you’re able, you may want to wait for reports on thermals for the new iMac. I do know the 9th gen CPUs from Intel are soldered which helps with more efficient cooling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.