New 27" iMac Config Advice Needed. UK Buyer.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cliffy Biro, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Cliffy Biro, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015

Cliffy Biro macrumors member

Afternoon everyone! Been reading the website for a long time but as I'm about to order my first Mac I figured I would sign up and ask for some of your great advice :) This iMac is to replace an aging PC setup at home and will be the first iMac I have purchased.

Decided to go with the maxed out 27" Retina / 4.0Ghz / 512SSD / M395X - upgrading the RAM myself to take it up to 24GB. Main uses are Adobe CC (Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop) for print design with the very occasional video edit and as it's a home office work machine I have no gaming needs at all. Does this config sound okay?

I've searched (and may have missed it) but does anyone have a link for buying the new 1866 MHz RAM in the UK? And will adding 2 x 8 GB work well with the installed 8 GB Apple RAM?

Also, while 512GB will be enough as an internal 'working' drive, I already use a 1TB WD Passport for the archived work which I don't frequently access. I'm looking at a not too expensive backup solution for all this and was going to use a 2TB WD Passport, am I right thinking I can backup both of the other drives to this 2TB drive using Time Machine?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

3. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

This RAM (from the UK) should work http://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-Impa...63&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=1886+16gb+ram+sodimm

Your configuration sounds great.And yes, time machine will grab both devices and back them up.