New 27" iMac HD problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by whitebook, Oct 25, 2011.

1. whitebook macrumors regular

So i have purchased the 2.7 GHz i5 27" iMac, i got it about 3 weeks ago, everything seems to be fine with it apart from the HD, if i am watching a movie on it at night and put it to sleep with the remote or if it just naturally goes to sleep from not being used the hard drive will boot up randomly and make quit a lot of noise for about 5 seconds and then just click and completely shut off, this will continue to happen until i physically turn the machine off. This won't happen all the time but about 50% of the time it will. I know that sound from hard drives is them in the first stages of failing, but i was wondering if there was anyone who has had this issue before or if there is a fix for it without having to return the mac, there is no Apple store close to me either. Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Have you called Apple to discuss your repair options? I would ask for in-home repair. They have done this for me when I had to have the HD replaced due to failure under warantee. Make sure you do a time machine backup before the HD is replaced.

3. whitebook thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply, I'm going to contact apple tomorrow about the problem, I wasn't aware that they do home repairs as well. Is this in the UK as well as the US? Oh and yes I've got it completely backed up on time machine, very glad ive done this since day one

4. iTunesArt macrumors newbie

iTunesArt

More Help

In that time frame you Apple will totally give you some assistance. I really love this site but it also drives me nuts because I want to pick up a 27" iMac but Im always thinking about the product life cycles. LOL. Good luck with the video problem whitebook.