New 27" iMac - New Issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lugesm, Jun 21, 2011.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Having used a 24" iMac for the past 3+ years, I decided to upgrade to the newest version. First of all, I thought 27" was a bit much, but I didn't want to go down to the smaller version.

So, credit card in hand, I bucked up my courage and ordered the new 27" with Core-i7 and 8GB memory.

It came today.

I must admit that I am really impressed with the speed, and the larger monitor is not a problem . . . . EXCEPT that everything is so damned small I can hardly tolerate the change. Virtually all printed matter is now about half size. :mad:

I can read it; I have 20-15 vision with glasses. However, having used Windows for several years prior to the Mac I am accustomed to the ability to change font sizes on practically every item. Not so with the Mac.

Surely Apple must have anticipated this issue with the large monitor. No solution in sight. It appears that Lion will not solve the problem, from what I have been able to read on the Internet.

Does this problem bother anyone else. Would like to learn how you are all handling it.

Thanks for your comments.

2. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

You can increase or decrease resolution and font size in settings. You can set it up however you want.

3. ZtevenX macrumors newbie

how to you increase system OS font size without sacrificing screen resolution?

4. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

There is no native way to increase the default font size independent of changing the desktop resolution. To be honest, the font size in OS X is quite generous compared to Windows -- I believe Windows 7's default is 9 point Segoe UI at 96ppi, compared to 12 or 13pt Lucida Grande at 72 ppi on OS X. Most font settings are application specific.

A free third-party utility, TinkerTool, will allow you to change it. I've never used it, but this is the dialog you'd be looking for:
    [​IMG]