New 27" iMac, or Upgrade my 24" with SSD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by douglas, Oct 10, 2013.

1. douglas macrumors member

I have a 2009 iMac (3.06 GHz, 8GB, Nvidia GT130, 1TB HD) which runs fine for my current needs. I use this as my main work machine, with Archicad as the most demanding ap.

I was planning on purchasing a new 27" iMac, but what about simply upgrading the HD to a 256GB SSD, and maybe upping the ram to 16GB? The new 27" screen is the biggest draw for me, although I find the size and resolution of my 24" to be fine (and in way preferred to the higher resolution of the 27" which makes me squint). No doubt the 27" resolution is a matter of getting used to (or upping my glasses prescription).

Cost of upgrading my 24" iMac is about $500 at a service shop versus $2500 for a new machine. Thoughts anyone?

2. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Hi

I think if the current machine meets your needs, that the speed boost from an SSD upgrade will breathe total new life into it! You can then hang onto your cash for a future iMac in the next few years (or another purchase or keep it in your savings account).

Of course the opposite side of this is that an upgrade gives you a larger, high res display, and a faster CPU/GPU and the option of an SSD or Fusion Drive as BTO.

It really depends on how much of a hole that money is burning in your pocket :)

3. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I'm sure it'll be fine to upgrade the 24" in terms of speed, but just remember the aging components inside that system. If the logic board or screen goes, then you must consider your $500 investment from the upgrade and then the $500-$700 cost of an inevitable repair in the future.

4. douglas thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, good points. I can afford a new iMac, it's really more about value and my reluctance to replace something that meets my needs, with the latest and greatest (and my experience with the hassles of migrating to a new machine). However I'd be very ticked-off if my screen or CPU died soon after installing a SSD. My thought was that the HD is the component that dies first in most cases, the the other components should last several more years.

5. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

I can agree with you on that. I had a first gen aluminum iMac 20" where the hard drive died 3 years and a few months later. However, it was a base model from 2007 so it wasn't too powerful - I replaced the drive myself and just sold it.

I think if you really want to keep the current machine, then upgrade to an SSD that meets your needs (unsure what type of storage size you need). You may want to consider something that is SATA II as the SATA III models may cost a bit more for something you may not necessarily tap into - although the caveat is that top SATA III models can saturate your SATA II connection to the fullest.

6. mmcneil macrumors regular

I have a 2008 iMac and just had a Samsung 850 256G SSD Installed. It absolutely was the best choice. Bought the SSD on Ebay $165. Bought the adaptor kit from OWC $20. Paid $99 to have it all installed.

It screams and this is with a SATA II Interface limited to 3GB transfer. The SSD is capable of 6GB. The performance increase of the SSD is amazing. I am limited to 6GB RAM and that upgrade didn't do as much as the SSD.

I am drooling over 27" too, but this will do until I can afford one :).

7. mmcneil macrumors regular

The folks I had do the install did a complete diagnostic on mine and found the original HD going bad (I knew that) and a fan that was not performing to spec. It cost me a bit more to get that fixed ($150) for a total of ~$450 - still a LOT less than the $2000+ I would have spent on a BTO 27" iMac :).

Have them do the complete diagnostic BEFORE the tear down - I paid for two tear downs.

8. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I am in the exact same boat right now. I have a 2009 27" iMac that just popped out of apple care. I've had the HDD replaced twice and now running on a third one with no problems whatsoever. I also had some issues with kernel panics, but that just turned out to be some bad 3rd party RAM that got it replaced from the manufacture.

I love having apple care and the peace of mind it offers. While not the only reason, it's a big incentive for me to upgrade to a new iMac. I'm also stuck between dumping my optical drive for an SSD and sticking it out another year or two with my current iMac or getting a brand new one.

The cost of a an SSD drive is much cheaper than a new iMac, but my aging GPU (I do love to game when time permits) and lack of an i7 (I do lots of editing / rendering in Premiere) have me stuck in the same rut.

Decisions decisions.. I'd love to know what you choose and why! Keep me posted my friend.

----------

That's good they discovered that. Luckily for me I can do all the upgrades myself and test my own HDD. HD tune is an awesome software for checking a disk for bad sectors and other various problems.