new 27" imac w/ SSD. ok to add a second HDD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wrldmrine, Feb 24, 2012.

1. wrldmrine macrumors newbie

i'm sure this has been discussed before, but i can't find the exact answer i'm looking for. i just bought a new 27" imac i7 3.4 ghz with an SSD already installed.

i have a 2tb WD drive i am using in my other 24" 2007 imac that i want to move over to my new system. can anyone tell me:

a) is there a second drive bay in my new system to add this other SATA HDD?
    b) are there any restrictions to adding this secondary drive?
    c) will this void my warranty (assuming i install it correctly and don't break anything)

once again, i already have the SSD drive as my main drive installed from apple. i am just looking to install a secondary SATA drive for additional storage.

2. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

Hard drives are a complete pain in the butt to take in and out of the new iMac. If you feel comfortable suction cupping your iMac's display panel off and completely taking it apart then go ahead. On top of this, Apple puts firmware now on all their iMac drives, making it impossible to use any drives that aren't directly from them. There are workarounds, but it's more trouble than it's worth. I'd recommend you just hook up your other hard drive to an external casing and use it as an external. There is another place for a secondary hard drive, but again... it's no easy task.

3. wrldmrine thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. i wasn't sure if the custom firmware applied only to the boot drives or to secondary drives as well. i'm fine replacing it myself (did it on my 24"), but i would rather get as much info as possible before opening it up.