Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flavoredair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2011
I'm about to purchase a new iMac 27" and I was wondering if the video cards were upgradeable - specifically the HD 6770M and the HD 6970M. Since they're "mobile" versions of the graphics cards I assume that they're likely to be integrated into the board, but that might not necessarily be true.

I've searched around for the answer but have come up with nothing yet. Even checked to see if iFixit has posted a dissection but couldn't find that either.

Thanks much.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
The boards they're on can be removed. They appear to be in the MXM form factor. And if apple made an upgrade you could plug one in. But it needs to be the right form factor and OSX needs to have support for whatever you are installing.

I wouldn't expect them to be upgradable.

Eventually they'll become outdated.

That's the thing about all-in-ones, when it gets outdated you get a new one. You have to accept that going into it.

Last edited:

TechnoDestructo

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
It is removable. Apple does this to reduce manufacturing costs, repair costs and assembly defect rates, as well as allowing the GPU section to be made at a different location.

Nobody makes upgrade cards for the iMacs. If you want a fast card, get the fastest one available when you buy the machine.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Couldn't one theoretically order a replacement graphics card made for a newer model of iMac and swap it out for his current one? As far as I can tell, the slots are the same between generations.

Kerel

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
Weimar Germany
nowbody knows the real answer to your question.
They are probably upgradeble because they use the mxm form factor but it would be very expensive.
You would need to buy them from Apple or OSX won´t recognize them,
Apple uses a custom vbios(i´ve heard).
And they use different heatsinks for the various types of graphics cards.
HD6970m is bigger(mxm b) and dissipates more heat than the HD6770(mxm a).

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Couldn't one theoretically order a replacement graphics card made for a newer model of iMac and swap it out for his current one? As far as I can tell, the slots are the same between generations.
You can, but good luck finding one. A broken iMac is your best chance I guess.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
It can be replaced. The problem is finding the replacement. They don´t get sold freely as regular PCI-E GPU.

If such card is exist, it would be expensive, maybe twice or thrice the price of regular GPU for desktop. You´ll get better deal trade the old iMac to the new one instead. Or sell the old one to buy the new one.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
You can, but good luck finding one. A broken iMac is your best chance I guess.

Here's any kind you want, all brand new:

https://www.applecomponents.com/items/video-cards/

It can be replaced. The problem is finding the replacement. They don´t get sold freely as regular PCI-E GPU.

If such card is exist, it would be expensive, maybe twice or thrice the price of regular GPU for desktop. You´ll get better deal trade the old iMac to the new one instead. Or sell the old one to buy the new one.

The prices at the link above don't seem that bad, certainly cheaper than buying a new iMac.

ZeD X

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
Essentially, you could put a 2GB 6970M into a 21.5" iMac, assuming there's room for the heatsink.

The board size differs too.

How exactly be sure if it will work (installed and recognized)? Only by testing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.