New 27" Late 2012 iMac Screen Goes Black -- Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Reg88, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Reg88 macrumors regular

This is my second new 27" late 2012 iMac in the last 3 weeks. The screen on the first one went blank at random twice during the first 10 days (while I had just been using it so it wasn't a sleep issue).

I've had the replacement machine now for 1 week and tonight,I was waiting for dropbox to sync as I had uploaded a large file from my macbook pro.

I checked the iMac to see if the file had downloaded yet to the iMac, and as I pulled my hands off the magic trackpad, the screen went blank and I heard what sounded like the drive powering down - almost the sound of sleep mode when you close the macbook pro. I tapped the touchpad and the iMac was back on.

I've read about the two issues below, but I'm hoping that as a relatively new mac user, that I'm missing something obvious.

I love this machine and don't want to return another one.

1) that for others it happens when the screen is at full brightness (which mine is not)
    2) it's a heat issue with the SSD.

Any advice is MUCH appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Kelsmom18 macrumors newbie

Kelsmom18

Ok - I have to ask. Do you have a "hot corner" set up to turn off your display? Whenever your cursor goes up to that specific corner of the monitor the display will turn off. You can also have "sleep" set up as a "hot corner". Just sayin......... :)

3. Reg88 thread starter macrumors regular

No and it's a good question, thanks. I even double checked the corners and it does the usual stuff - no quick sleep.