Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
This is the first release since I got my iMac that I've been seriously thinking of upgrading. Seeing it equipped with such a poor graphics card somewhat makes me question it, though.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be worthwhile upgrading from the 2007 24" to the base 27" that's just been released. I don't do any heavy rendering or anything like that but I do game quite a bit so I'd like something that can run newer games a bit better.

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
What are the specs of your 2007 imac and are games coming out that you are unable to play because of the specs?

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
What are the specs of your 2005 imac and are games coming out that you are unable to play because of the specs?
BioShock 2, for example, back in February just about ran with the resolution and settings turned very low. :(

It's the 2007 24" iMac, back when they brought out the aluminum cases.
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
ATi Radeon 2600 Pro 256MB
4GB DDR2 RAM

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
Id say if you have the monry for the base 27" model it will be WELL worth waiting a month or 3 to save the extra few hundred £/$/€ to get the i5 model

extra 2 cores better processor and better gpu!

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Id say if you have the monry for the base 27" model it will be WELL worth waiting a month or 3 to save the extra few hundred £/$/€ to get the i5 model

extra 2 cores better processor and better gpu!
The problem with the quadcore is that most games if not all, don't really benefit from the extra cores. None of the programs I use would really make use of them either.

I would think of upgrading the GPU but I'm still not sure about this upgrade. :confused:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
The problem with the quadcore is that most games if not all, don't really benefit from the extra cores. None of the programs I use would really make use of them either.

I would think of upgrading the GPU but I'm still not sure about this upgrade. :confused:

Games in future will and pretty much all new games do support quad core. If you're looking at good gaming machine, wait for some gaming benchmarks as there is a lot confusion what those GPUs really are.

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
Doesnt Grand Central Dispatch in Snow Leopard mean all programs are spread over the cores or is it just an API and the dev need to implement it?

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Doesnt Grand Central Dispatch in Snow Leopard mean all programs are spread over the cores or is it just an API and the dev need to implement it?
I use Windows for gaming mostly and Source games barely use dual core at the best of times. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.