New 2day iMac, No hardware installed + Gray bar....

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NextGenApple, Feb 18, 2012.

1. NextGenApple macrumors regular

Hi, Have a problem just booted up my imac it took a while to load and had a gray bar on start up, it finally loaded then it said no hardware installed where the wifi signal was, so i was unable to use the mac.

I don't really want genius bar up in a 2 day old computer so i'm wondering if i should return it and sit out for the new mac. Is this problem common? Never had this on my late 2009 imac

Thanks in advance

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I'm guessing restarting didn't fix the issue? Had this once before on my MBP and restarted then it was all fine.

If not, there's no DIY fix for this that would be easier than going to the Genius Bar.

3. NextGenApple thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your quick reply. No the issues was not resolved, will take it back and get my money. This is not acceptable, considering the amount i paid for this machine.

4. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Probably a simple issue of resetting the card/cable.

Not something I would return for, just to wait for what might be coming down the road.

As a rule I only buy from the Apple store in person, and never leave with a new unit without firing it up and testing it first.

I hate having to return things.

5. NextGenApple thread starter macrumors regular

Oh I hate having to return also, I bought now hoping all the problems with Sandy Bridge if any had been ironed out.

Don't like to be guinea pig so didn't really want to wait for Ivy Bridge as this was sufficient for me and my needs + its not like it will be my last mac so any redesign etc iI would probably see in the future

6. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Sounds like it booted into safe boot. Did you turn off your keyboard while shutting down the iMac?

7. NextGenApple thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I did, Always turn them off when I shut down. Frustrating as I just bought Firewire G-raid and loaded up my profile from previous mac only yesterday, Now I will have to return this.:(

8. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

This is why this issue is occuring. For newer iMacs, running OS X Lion, if you turn off the keyboard while the Mac is shutting down it will boot into safe boot. That is what the progress bar indicates and why all the hardware is missing. This isn't a hardware issue.

9. Dviper27 macrumors member

Unacceptable. Return it and buy another one

----------

Unacceptable. Exchange it for another

10. leman macrumors 604

Let Apple pick it up and give you a new machine. These things happen occasionally.

11. harcosparky macrumors 68020

So he more or less, killed it himself by not doing a proper shutdown.

How can he ( or anyone else who might read this and make the same mistake ) remedy the situation?

12. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

A normal restart should typically fix it, so long as the keyboard remains powered on. Of course it could be something else, but all the symptoms and causes fit.

13. NextGenApple thread starter macrumors regular

Please read before posting nonsense or silly statements, this situation occurred while starting the Imac not shutting down.

I paid a lot of money for my machine so have the right to be concerned if you have nothing positive to contribute please go be a nuisance some where else. Thank you to all that contributed wisely to my thread.

14. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I'm still not seeing why you can't go make a Genius Bar appointment, unless you don't have an Apple Store close by?

15. NextGenApple thread starter macrumors regular

Why should I make Genius appointment on 2 day old computer? Now 3 days. I don't want hands all up in a new computer, Refund or Exchange is only option for me, I'm afraid.

Would you buy a Brand new car and two days later you are told to bring the car in for a new engine? because there could be a fault? Hell no.

16. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

....what? Who said they had to replace anything parts? Maybe it's a software issue that they can fix. I mean REALLY, are you going to be that uptight about it?

17. nerp macrumors newbie

What happens if you reboot the iMac after not turning off the keyboard? Leave the KB on and reboot it after it boots once. What happens?

18. NextGenApple thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry if i sounded rude, Just frustrated, thats all

Same thing happens every time I boot the iMac.

19. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I used to get the same problem on my Mac Mini when I first got my wireless keyboard, it was down to switching the keyboard on during the boot. Now I just leave it on all the time - batteries last around 4-5 months with this method.