Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sidewindr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Fullerton CA
ok. here is the story, my old trusty 1st gen iphone 4gb got extremely hot and a phone call later i got a brand new replacement from apple under applecare.
Now i am gonna sell it on ebay, as i just picked up a iphone 3G today.
So should i or do i need to activate it ? like put in my old sim card and connect thru itunes?
and second question is should i unlock it? or just leave it as is and sell it?

thanks in advance guys!!

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
I would definitely set it up through iTunes and activate it then proceed to restore it and make it usable as an iPod Touch Wi-Fi device. If they want the phone unlocked let them take the risk (even if there isn't one), it's simple enough.

taibien86

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
its really easy to unlock (ziphone.org) so i suggest you do it yourself and sell it because the people who buy it aren't smart enough to realize how easy it is to unlock it and will pay extra for it to be unlocked. i unlocked my 1 gen iphone and sold it for more money than i paid after using it for 6 months, and this is after the 3g iphone was announced.

Alika4288

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
what preparations did you do to sell the first generation iPhone? Remove the sim and restore to factory settings? Stupid question, but I take out the sim right?

taibien86

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
what preparations did you do to sell the first generation iPhone? Remove the sim and restore to factory settings? Stupid question, but I take out the sim right?

its not stupid... restore the iphone and then unlock/jailbreak it so that all of your data is erased. test it with another SIM card after its unlocked just to make sure its working properly. and don't send it with your SIM card even though the new SIM will be activated when you get a 3g iphone.

oclor

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
Boston
You should post it as brand new, sealed, and say that if they want it unlocked then you can open it and do it for them. That way they know it's not used, and you get a lot more money I think.

sidewindr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Fullerton CA

well, i know i would probably get a few bucks more if i unlock it.
but they fact is that the replacement 2g iphone still has the clear protective wrappers on it. i just wonder if people might be more interested since it hasn't been "molested" :)

as right now, there is no sim in it. not activated.

sidewindr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Fullerton CA
You should post it as brand new, sealed, and say that if they want it unlocked then you can open it and do it for them. That way they know it's not used, and you get a lot more money I think.

hmm.. now.. if its not activated,would the new buyer be able to unlock it with no sim card?

csketch7

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2008
dont unlock factory settings and conditions best

it is to easy to unlock it just dont do it people want the old one because of the aluminum more wait to sell it apple will probably go back to the old aluminum dont

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.