New 3.06 MBP Win XP Drivers Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klundtasaur, Jun 26, 2009.

1. klundtasaur macrumors newbie

Ok, so i waited for 3 years to get a new MBP, and 12 hours ago, my dreams were finally realized. I pulled it out of the box, transferred some data, and hopped on a plane to my best friends baby blessing. I'm gone for a week, and i'll need windows access, so i threw my WinXP SP3 disc in my carryon. I of course forgot to get the OS X discs with the windows drivers from out of the MBP box. So, i'm states away from my discs, with no local options.

Does anyone know where i can get the drivers for the new Unibody MBP (the one with the SD card slot and the 512VRAM, to clarify)?

I'll be anxiously refreshing this page.

BTW, I'm in College Station, TX, so if anyone locally has the disc that i could borrow for 15 minutes, i'd be most grateful.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Just download VirtualBox - it is free.

Install it and pop the XP SP3 CD - create a new Windows XP virtual machine and let it install. You should be up and running in no time.

Why bother with Drivers/incompatibility if you can so easily run XP in VM? Very few people with specific needs want to run XP in BootCamp - it won't use 4Gb RAM assuming you have it anyway.

4. klundtasaur thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't do a VM, i'll be doing some rather intensive gaming on it :(. Anyone have any other suggestions?

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

you could try to find the old beta bootcamp drivers online..if they're still around

half the stuff won't install right, though, b\c it was designed for the old macbook pros, and you'll have to find individual drivers for the stuff that doesn't work.

6. qpid macrumors regular

Did you check if there is an apple store or at least an authorized provider nearby? They may let you borrow the disks or something for the drivers.

7. qpid macrumors regular

apple.com/buy says this place is nearby:

Macresource Computers

3828 S Texas Ave
    Bryan, TX 77802

8. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Fetch the Geforce 9M series nvidia driver from http://nvidia.com and see if that works. If not then head over to http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ and see if any 9600M GT driver is available. That should take care of the Video card. Next get the MCP79 drivers - http://www.guru3d.com/news/download-nforce-driver-19-06--xpvista-32bit-whql/ may be don't know for sure.

That will leave you with the trackpad drivers - Apple has bootcamp update on their download site - fetch it, unpack and just install the trackpad driver from the inf file or exe as the case may be.

I am afraid it not going to be easier than that without the BootCamp DVD - if Windows 7 is compatible with the game may be download the RC and give it a try - most hardware should work on Win 7.

9. Jottle macrumors 6502

10. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Apple uses the NVidia MCP79 chipset in the MacBook/Pro - the SATA disk controller, audio, USB controller etc. are all part of it and Windows needs drivers for these things.

11. Jottle macrumors 6502

Should I uninstall the bootcamp mcp79 drivers before installing the new ones? (Windoze newb)

12. Junkie2 macrumors member

13. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

No - BootCamp drivers are always preferable unless you either don't have access to them like the OP or have problems that are corrected with the newer drivers. So don't worry.

14. Jottle macrumors 6502

Thanks. Though the new nvidia display drivers are really superior to the bootcamp ones. You get to enable physx on the newer ones.

15. klundtasaur thread starter macrumors newbie

hey guys, i didn't mean to leave you all hangin, but after TX i was out of internet range for a few days. Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions, and Thanks to junkie for uploading those drivers.

I ended up going to best buy like 5 minutes before they closed and begging for them to let me borrow their demo discs for their apple machines. They refused to do so without charging me $30 bucks, but at least i was able to get the drivers.

Now i've got the issue of XP wanting me to re-validate every time i switch between VMWare and BootCamp--but i'm sure there's another thread around here that has the answer for that one (i'll go use the search function like a responsible forumer:)
    Thanks again for your quick responses!

16. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

Good luck with that. I HATE the way Windows thinks there's been hardware changes when you boot with VMware/Bootcamp. It makes you call the MSFT police and explain yourself after a few times.

Me? I just deleted the Windows partition altogether. Solved. :D