New 3.0ghz iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rave34, Jun 15, 2008.

1. rave34 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to MacRumos.com. I've been a PC user all my life and I think it's time that I convert to a Mac.

I graduated from college last year so now I am looking for a desktop, an iMac specifically.

I'm debating on either the 2.8ghz machine with 256mb video ram, or the new 3.0ghz 512mb video ram. I do not plan on doing any gaming or heaving video editing/graphics, that sort of stuff. But I would love to have that option available in case I want to get into it. Do you think the 2.8 ghz machine is a better choice for me or should I just go all out and get the top of the line version?

I want to run VMWare as well, so how does it run on a 2gb, 256mb video ram video card?

I was thinking about a MacBook Pro either! It's very hard deciding which one I want. The colors on the iMac screen is gorgeous! I fell in love with it, but at the same time, MacBook Pro has portability.

I might end up with the iMac since I graduated college already and I already have a notebook. Perhaps in the future, I can buy a Macbook for portability and have my iMac for desktop use.

2. Garemz macrumors regular

When it Comes to Computers there is no Over Kill.

The more speed you can get the better. Programs today use more and more resources, so if you can afford the power get it.

Cheers
    Gary

3. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

If you are not sure then I recommend you drop by your nearest Apple store for a demo.

If you want something on the move to take with you, then the Macbook Pro may suit you, or the Macbook.

The iMac question well I would if I could just buy top of the range, whats the harm? better then saving a few quid and regretting it later.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I bought the "top of the line" iMac with the 3.06 GHz and 512 Mb video RAM. Unlike a lot of PC towers, you can't just open up an iMac two years down the road and replace the video card or processor because the old one is slower and outdated. Buy not just for now, but for years down the road; you'll be extending the "useful life" of the machine. Trust me, very few people regret spending the extra money on something nicer once they've already spent it, but many regret not spending more on something better.

I have an iMac and a Macbook. While I was not happy with the Macbook as my only computer (the screen is a bit too small for my liking to be a primary machine), I love the combination of a workhorse desktop and a viable portable. I agree with you - many people on these forums do not like the glossy screens in the Macbook and iMac lines, but I love the way they make the colors pop. You can get the glossy screen on a MBP as well, if that's your thing.

Good luck!