Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMattux

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
Rod's webpages are excellent, but at least 30% of it is beyond my comprehension. There is some prerequisite knowledge that I don't have. I've looked around and I'll look around some more, but if you have specific links to directly relevant topics, I'd appreciate it very much. Especially anything about what "Choose Startup Disk" is doing.

I am in fact having partition issues, probably to the point where I need to start over. Windows 10 EFI works fine for me in regular use, but if I try to do anything related to low level disk management (clone, repartition, system backup, etc.), it fails.

What about "boot champ"? Is that just blessing the selected volume, or is that messing with partition types too?

AFAIK - Apple doesn't publish to the general public exactly what happens when "Choose Startup Disk" is used. It's at the core of security and I imagine that is the reason it's not generally available.

I know that "Choose Startup Disk" alters the MBR because it's a protected MBR before I use it and it's a hybrid MBR - according to gdisk - after I use it. If I choose Windows or OS X from the EFI boot screen, the disk remains unaltered with the correct protected MBR.

If you've found Rod Smith's various pages, you've found the same info that I have. It took a LOT of re-reading and cross referencing to get a handle on it. I couldn't even boot from a Ubuntu Linux Live USB when I started. Now I know very well how to create multiple flavors of portable OS's.

I know nothing about Boot Champ except that it exists, first because I don't have a hackintosh and second because I do all of this so that I know how to fix my stuff when I - inevitably - break it. Both Boot Champ and ReFind were possible choices. ReFind's shortcoming is that it presumes one physical startup disk with logical partitions. I found that it gets confused with 4-6 physical hard drives connected.

The EFI boot screen is the "best" way I have found, but I'd love to find another solution so I don't have to keep installing and removing the GT 120 when I want to switch OS's

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.