New 3.2GHZ Nehalem spotted on Ebay

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zeigerpuppy, Oct 22, 2009.

1. zeigerpuppy macrumors member

Looks like the Mac Pro line may be getting an upgrade, there are 10 new 3.2GHz Quad Core 2009 Mac Pros for sale on Ebay

processor is listed as Intel Xeon W3570 3.2GHz

hopefully this will see a drop in price of the other models?

http://cgi.ebay.com/FASTEST-2009-QUAD-CORE-MAC-PRO-3-2GHz-16GB-DDR3-4TB-HDD_W0QQitemZ130334610267QQcmdZViewItemQQptZApple_Desktops?hash=item1e588c535b

Also noticed same seller has 3.33GHZ octo cores
    looks legit....

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-EIGHT-CORE-MAC-PRO-3-33GHz-32GB-DDR3-4TB-HDD_W0QQitemZ130336543733QQcmdZViewItemQQptZApple_Desktops?hash=item1e58a9d3f5

2. MacVidCards Suspended

..yawn........somebody posted a link to this some days ago

next

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Technically neither one is legit. The first link says it has Apple Care and that's BS! The second link (as well as the 1st) violates Leopard and Snow Leopard's license agreement which specifies it is only to be installed on Apple Sold hardware. As the processors did NOT come from Apple, running OS X on it is technically illegal - errr, against Apple policy.

4. zeigerpuppy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info, sorry I missed the other post.

This guy should be reported to Ebay then, applecare would surely not cover these mods... it says "sealed in box"

Hmmmm, oh well

5. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

You have to remember though that EULA is not legally valid all around the world...EU does not recognize it,afaik...

Not that it would matter in this case though...:D

6. SingleBurg3rz macrumors newbie

7. forester54 macrumors member

forester54

that 3.33 would be badass but for $9700 ill pass

8. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

You can do the same thing yourself for much less.... assuming you know how. I guess this is for the suckers out there :p

9. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Indeed. Man!!! What you can build these days for $9,700... Puts any mac to a shameful death of utter shame! Seriously! Like workstation grade system and parts with 8 physical cores at ~ 4 GHz (OC), 720 cores of Tesla (3 teraflops) plus a nice display card, 32 GB RAM, 8-Drive RAID for 12 Terabytes of storage, 6 or 8 open SAS connections, case and power solution of your choice, TV, WiFi, BlueTooth, BlueRay, any cooler you want, professional grade multi-track 32 bit audio, etc. etc.

10. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Well, the OS would be running on Mac Pro hardware from Apple when it is first installed, thereby violating nothing. If the Mac Pro is later upgraded with a faster processor, it's the hardware warranty that is the concern, is it not? Query: can't a processor upgrade qualify as a "user-installable upgrade" that does NOT violate the hardware warranty??

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=13946

11. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

To do this kind of upgrade you have to do some destructive measures, that cannot be reversed. So it is impossible to hide. Due to the nature of the socket design it is also an extremely damage prone operation. When it was first done a CPU and the CPU/RAM tray got destroyed in the process.

12. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I'm not a lawyer but that doesn't sound right to me. This is a user upgrade? The machines are being sold as new right?

Guessing Apple, I would say no. But look it up if you're interested. It's probably easy to find.

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

This would be my take on it. The processors in these units aren't the originals, and I'd be totally amazed if Apple would honor the warranty at all.

Going by gugucom's indication there's evidence of tampering, even with the OEM processors back in the system, Apple's certainly going to deny any warranty claim. So warranty work will be vapor, no matter what.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Or simply an outright scam, almost seems like the deluxe everything included machine scams offering $15k systems with everything including Mac OS Server and all the SW for $2k.

Except, simply lower the number of options included and raise the price to entice the suckers. And let them think they are getting a pre-release machine.

---

Or simply overclocked systems ... which is what they are doing with the PCs.

15. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Got it. From a newbie's perspective it seemed like you were just dropping in a new processor....I didn't know that the process screwed up anything.

The funny part is that "user-installable upgrade" is not really defined. Forget about the eBay guy.....if I get a stock Mac Pro for my personal use, and install a new processor myself, is that not a "user-installed upgrade"?? You would have thought that Apple's lawyers would have not left that so open-ended.

16. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Apple uses CPUs without heat spreader. They are not available on the open market. When you fit a different CPU they are almost 2 mm higher and the automatic connection mechanism of the internal heat sink (booster) fans fails. You cannot get the CPUs to POST without irreversible mods to the connector design. This is the first thing that an AASP worth his salary will check if you make a CPU related claim.

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

Ah. I would have thought it was a float with limit type connector (allowing it to slide up and down a bit to make sure it alligned properly, then attach when the screws were used on the HS assy). Silly me... :D :p

I presume you had to cut the retaining tabs and connect it manually then (rather carefully as well, to make sure of connection)?

18. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Yeah, the heat sink side of the connector has to be unclipped from the heat sink aluminum casting. Then the connector has to be stripped off the injection molded clips that locks it in the casting. And finally the connector has to be closed manually before the heat sinks is lowered back on the CPU in the open socket. The first thing you notice if you ever remove a heat sink is that the connector will not disconnect automatically any more.

19. nanofrog macrumors G4

If it works, then it's a necessary compromise, given Apple's design choices with it. But it seems like a bit of a PITA. :D :p

At least it's not something you should have to remove often, if ever again. :D

20. zeigerpuppy thread starter macrumors member

The missing heat spreader is only an issue on the octocore, the quad core has a standard design and socket...

21. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

That was what I thought I had read, but since I didn't know much about it, I differed to you guys.

For the record, I'm talking about putting a 3.2 ghz in a quad core. An easy "user-installed upgrade", or not??

22. nanofrog macrumors G4

Fairly. You don't have to bother with thermal gap material on the voltage regs, or getting the fan connector loose from the CPU cooler either.

But from what I've read on the posts, it's not quite as easy to remove/reinstall the cooler as some of the units used by other vendors. Or 3rd party offerings usually used in OC'ed systems on the PC side either.

Caution and patience should get you through it without causing any damage though. ;)

23. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

Seems they acknowledge it is a custom build and THEY are doing the warranty - still expensive though

24. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

What is the cheapest way to get a 3.2 ghz 2009 Mac Pro quad with any kind of warranty?

I ask because I think this is way I might want to go for my video work.

25. mac88 macrumors 6502

I agree with Tesselator here. How can there be Applecare on the processor? I would stay away.