New 3 year laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bilalo, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Hello everyone, i wanna buy a new laptop that will stay with me for the next 3-4 years without feeling so behind tech. I need it for uni as well as gaming and so on so ofcourse i'm thinking about the macbook pro 15" retina display with full graphics, ram, so on. Is there anything that i do not needs to upgrade while customizing the retina? Like GhZ or so on and i wanted to ask ive read alot of negative things about the new laptop regarding speed of mountain lion as well as problem with the frequency of scrolling on web pages and so on. Id usually wait for 2nd generation retina but i have no time and need a new lappy within a month or two. So any advice?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Either MBP should suit you for the next 3 years. I'd worry less about being behind the technology and more about the performance being acceptable.

The clock rate that you can upgrade an MBP (2.3 to 2.7) is such that you'll not really feel a major difference between the base and fastest.

I'd upgrade the ram to the maximum since you cannot upgrade that alter and be sure the SSD is sized properly for your needs.

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Laptop/Desktop hardware performance isn't increasing as exponentially as it used to. Consumers are more interested in mobile/tablets these days, and want lower prices, so computer manufacturers don't have much incentive to revolutionize as often. Any Mac you buy today will last you through 4 years of college for sure.

4. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502