New 30" or larger display with new Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by StephenCampbell, Sep 8, 2012.

1. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

After a few weeks with my 30" ACD, I was in the Apple Store and looked at the 27" display by the Mac Pro, and it felt a lot smaller. Even though the horizontal resolution is the same, it is physically smaller. I don't want to give up the 30" screen size when I upgrade.. do you think there's a chance Apple will introduce a new lineup of displays with the new Mac Pro?

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Doubtful.

You know you can keep the 30" if you get a new machine, right?

3. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, but it doesn't have any modern capabilities.. and mine happens to have that DVI-noise issue when the screen is on but dark. Maybe that wouldn't happen with a much newer machine with a much newer video card.. I guess I'll find out. One way or another I'll buy my new tower before replacing the monitor.

Why did Apple settle on 27" with no other sizes?

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

I'm not sure why you think anyone on MacRumors would know the answer to that. With the level of secrecy Apple maintains we know very little until a product is released. Even then Apple does not share their reasoning why they make certain choices.

5. Boiler macrumors regular

Economies of scale, supply chain efficiencies, bulk purchases complementing iMac 27" screens

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

That is a possibility but no one here really knows. Apple may have a completely different reason. I am sure that there are many things that influenced their decision. All we have are assumptions, some of which may be more accurate than others.

7. Boiler macrumors regular

True
    If I had to place my bet it would be
    1) moving from a 30" matte silver border and 24" glossy black border to a streamlined 27" with similar styling to macbook pro bezels

2) Time Cook supply chain simplifying. Used to have 24 acd, 27 imac, 30 acd to now all 27s

Again, just hunches, not certain or definitive

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

Those would be my guesses also. And like you said the more 27" screens they buy the cheaper they should be. However there have to be a point where they can not get any cheaper and I would think that Apple is to that point with most the the parts they order.

9. Boiler macrumors regular

Good point, there is a limit
    Unless they develop monopsonist power as a buyer

Their bargaining power as a buyer could be enormous if they buy 20-40% of the market. Kind of like Wal-mart power

But there is a limit, asymptote for everything

Here's hoping to more vertical space like a 30" TBD
    or eventually apple TVs that can serve as monitors too!

10. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Because the professional market get less important and pirate folks (I assume) use their TV at home for any bigger size (40, 50, 60 and more inch). Not much space left for and 30" branded Apple display.

11. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

Doubtful. The prosumer/professional display market has been saturated with IPS-LCDs for quite some time now and there's not really any revolutionary advances in display technology. If Apple were to play in that market, it would have to be a Retina, something like a 4k screen.

There's no indication that any manufacturers are making large screens in quantity at Retina resolution so its unlikely that Apple is going to be releasing a new ACD.