New 30Inch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nxfxcom, Apr 25, 2009.

1. nxfxcom macrumors regular

Hello,

i am in the process of trying to sell my Cintiq21UX, so with some cash and the Money from the sale, i will have about $2000 to spend on a new screen, i would like to get a second 30inch screen (have one Apple now)

The problem is just that the Cinemas where top of the line, today, not so sure anymore, and i think they may have a new one soon (thats always my luck with buying apple stuff)

So which one should i go for? i use Maya 99% of the time!

Thank you

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

So, you're asking if you should go with the proven, matching, gorgeous current monitor... or a non-existent one? Tough call...

If you can afford to wait, then you may as well. Of course, you might wind up waiting forever, who knows? If you need one now, your choices are Apple or someone else. Dell and Samsung have nice 30" options...

3. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

do you have a computer that can support a mini-display port??? Currently apple is only supporting macs with the MDP built in. I think. You could search some to double check but thats what i have been hearing. And the old 30" will be better than this new one IMO. I don't like the look or the screens look in the new displays from apple.

4. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

LOL,

sorry i was also looking the Dell and Samsung, but just wanted to know if you guys had any experience with them! Or if there is a new kick ass monitor out there i did not think about!

Thanks

5. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Upto you. I'd imagine that a 30" LED Display is not too far away.

6. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

Current i have last years MacPro with the 8800GT was thinking when i get a new display to the the new Radeon as well!

7. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

30 inch LED would be nice, but i think it will be very pricy!

My main issue is should i get this
    ATI Radeon HD 4870

an then an adapter for my second screen or stick with the 8800GT

8. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Well, it'll blow the 8800GT out of the water, and driving two 30" monitors is pretty taxing, so I'd say yes.

9. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

Cool ok so the Radeon,
    what about the Monitors, any suggestions?

Thanks

10. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Apple is still #1 for 30" displays. A great monitor 3 years ago is still a great monitor today. You'll have no regrets.

With others...well...

11. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

The NEC 30" reportedly has some problems with the ATI card, but that's the one I would get if I had the money. I personally own a DS-263N, which is not what you're looking for, but has proved to be the best monitor I've ever expirienced for a timepsan longer then ten minutes. However, since you already have the 30" ACD, getting another would probably be a good idea for ease of colour-matching.

Besides, the differences between it and the model that may come in the future? LED backlighting? Glossy? MiniDisplayPort? Not enough justification to wait, in my opinion. Sure, LED lighting usually makes it "easier" for the manufacturer to work in a proper backlight control, instead of the pixels themselves :mad:, but I think that you would be just as happy with the current display generation as compared to the next.

12. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

13. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Out of interest, what are you doing that would benefit from that ridiculously large canvas? I assume some sort of design (you had a cintiq), but I just can't imagine having that much room. I would have 24/7 A.D.D.

14. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

LOL,

i am working 90 % of the time in Maya, and if i want 4 viewports / that already splits my screen in 4, then Maya has a lot of Properties and Tools windows, you can easily fill up 2 screens ;)

15. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

They are not number one for 30 inchers. There are much better 30 inchers out there, especially since apples isn't a real professional display, no 10 bit or built in hardware calibration. Its a nice monitor but for wha you get its not a good deal compared to other monitors using the same or a more updated panel. I feel like I need to remind people that Apple cinema displays do not run OS X, so any arguement of paying extra for it falls.

16. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

I am looking to spend about 2k and i mainly use Maya Photoshop and ZBrush

17. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Well in that case look at NEC or Lacie or other professional monitor companies. That Samsung is actually a very nice panel and will give the best movie playback (IPS still has difficulties with adding noise to video and poor blacks unless its an NEC polarized panel) because of the S-PVA panel. Apple just doesn't compete with screens at the same price level as them.

18. chewietobbacca macrumors 6502

Not sure if this particular monitor works for you, but I've used my Dell 3007WFP-HC (S-IPS panel too) for 2 years now and it's an amazing monitor for the price, though I believe Dell has moved on to newer 30"ers

19. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Yes, this is a very well built monitor and costs significantly less than the apple display which is missing inputs.