New 32GB Ipod Touch Has Better Screen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by teerexx52, Feb 9, 2008.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I had one of the original 16GB Ipod Touches week 37 and I have an iphone. The earlier ipod touch did not come close to the screen quality of my iphone. The 32gb I got yesterday has a wonderful screen and side by side with iphone its as good(at least). Anyone know if the screen has been updated?

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Probably the same screen but they've got over manufacturing issues now. Your original 16gb touch may have just been bad.

What's the formatted capacity?

3. David G. macrumors 6502a

The screens have been getting better. It's just that the week number decides the quality, not the size of the memory in the iPod. Any iPod touch that has the same week number will [usually] have the same quality screen.

4. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Well, in preferences it says 30GB even

5. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Actually I had 2 of them. First one was bad with the negative issues. Second one was fine but not nearly as good as my iphone. This one is on par with my iphone. Very nice screen

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

There were a lot of manufacturing issues. I had a week 38 and it was pretty bad. My 32GB is much better.

7. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Yes so it may be they have these issues worked out.

8. 7even macrumors 6502a

I still can't decide whether my 32 gig'er has a better or worse screen than my previous 16 gig model. The colors seem a bit duller and more yellowish, but somehow it manages to display darker colors slightly better :confused:

9. cjmal macrumors 6502

I hope this is true. I've been waiting months to get an iPod after various returns because of bad screens.

10. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Compared to a same week 16/8 GB, it will be the same.

11. wizard macrumors 68040

Hmmm; I'm wondering if they made the system partition any larger. With th coming SDK and resultant apps that might be important.

Dave

12. Delia macrumors member

Does anyone think there is newer stock of 8 gb or 16gb ipod touches coming out for sale?

I don't know how many different 'week' versions there are, and if I end up buying one, I want to ensure I have something reasonably new that will have less of a chance to be faulty, at least screenwise.

Is it a matter of serial numbers that I can identify week via?

13. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I thought it was funny it said 30 on the nose but that's what it said.

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

Oh no, not this again. The problems were solved a long time ago. Just buy one. As long as it's in a store that would get new ones often (target, bb, apple, etc), you'll be fine. It was just a few weeks of production back in September that had really bad negative problems. That's all been fixed for the most part. Now you'll never get a perfect screen, I can promise you that with any device, but the current screens on the iPod touches are fine.

Nope. 30GB is proportionally even with the other models and their formatted capacities. It's actually a bit more, so they definitely didn't increase system storage.

15. cjmal macrumors 6502

I can say for anything in 2008, but it wasn't just few weeks in september. I got bad ipods all the way until mid-december. The latest was a week 49 which had a bad screen and bad crackling audio. I definitely hope you're right about current iPods having decent screens.

16. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I can't imagine this would be so.

Personally I am not sure what I'd be looking for in terms of a bad screen except for broken pixels, which I had one or two but not really complaining...I don't really notice them most of the time.

17. aethelbert macrumors 601

Just because you got defects doesn't mean that every ipod was defective. They had better screens in October. There will always be bad apples in the bunch. Don't think that I'm promising you that all post-October screens are good.

Yeah, one should always expect stuck/dead pixels. That's part of manufacturing. You're lucky if you don't get any. The best thing to do is learn to live with them, not go through 25 buy/return processes and still be let down.

18. mistafreeze macrumors member

AWESOME

I have been putting off getting the touch because of the screen issues. I'll go ahead and get the new 32. I was hoping with the new release that they had this fixed, so I guess the general consensus is they do.

I read on these forums some people were saying their pictures looked bad on the ipod touch, and zooming is not so hot, and the images look very pixelated.

Anyone else having this problem? A main reason behind this purchase is to display my portfolio while on the go (atleast that is how I'm justifying that to myself =P)

19. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Oh man don't tell me this now, haha. I just ordered a 16GB.. I hope the screen works flawlessly if not at least with no problems. Haha.