Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
So M$ have finally decided to sort out the 360's ***** D-pad, and the result is a very nice looking controller. $64.99 including a Play & Charge kit.

Twist it and it moves!
xbox-controller-transforming-dpad.gif

There's a demo video featuring Major Nelson over on Joystiq.

:apple:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
No more hadoukening. Also monochrome buttons?

As much as I don't like the xbox dpad I've never had much need for it, or rather its faults have never impeded my performance in a game.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
What the hell Microsoft? You release a brand new console, get people to buy them...and THEN release a new controller? Sorry, why can't you do both at the same time and not screw people over?

Plus I've got four controllers already. Why do I need five?

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
My biggest hope is that the monochrome buttons won't become a new standard in games, having a colourful visual cue is always helpful. The colours are probably even in Microsoft's Xbox developer guidelines, so they are contradicting themselves.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
I think its safe to say I'm seriously debating wether to keep my 360 the constant over charging for stupid crap like this is getting out of hand first live is going 60 now they wanna throw this crap for the same price basicly? I think once Mass Effect 2 will be relase on PS 3 I'll sell my 360 I dont want to be over Nickle and dimed for every little accessory that comes out.:mad:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
"Nickle and diming" doesn't apply to $64 controllers. This is "daylight robbery".

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
Considering this is replacing the standard wireless controller, it is quite terrible that this isn't included with the new S systems.

I actually prefer it without the coloured action buttons.

:apple:

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
This controller isn't a new "Standard" controller or anything. It is just a slightly tweaked version, that if people want for its updated features, they can get. The previous controller with the "Play and Charge" kit has always retailed at $65, making this no more expensive either, so I'm not sure about all the "nickel & dimed" comments. The standard wireless controller will continue to be sold, and will retail for $50, like always.

I'm not sure I really understand all the outrage in here. This isn't rocket science people.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
65 for a new Controller ? I mean other than Arcade Joystiqs controllers how many controllers do you see over 45 bucks?

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
65 for a new Controller ? I mean other than Arcade Joystiqs controllers how many controllers do you see over 45 bucks?
It is $65 WITH THE PLAY AND CHARGE KIT people, the same price it has ALWAYS been. Is this line of text not showing up for anyone else? How can I be the only person who gets this?

Want a wireless controller, with no P&C kit? That is $50 retail, like always.
Want a wireless controller, with the P&C kit? That is $65 retail, like always.

This new controller is just replacing the controller that comes in the P&C / Controller kit. Normal wireless controllers will continue to be sold, and will still be $50 retail.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I'm much more interested in the Razer Onza controller. It has adjustable tension analog sticks as well as a second set of shoulder bumpers that are completely programmable. It's coming some time in Q3 and is supposed to retail around $50. (it is corded BTW, not wireless. Since it's enthusiast, they're cutting down on a few ms of lag).

ynfis.jpg

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
It is $65 WITH THE PLAY AND CHARGE KIT people, the same price it has ALWAYS been. Is this line of text not showing up for anyone else? How can I be the only person who gets this?

Want a wireless controller, with no P&C kit? That is $50 retail, like always.
Want a wireless controller, with the P&C kit? That is $65 retail, like always.

This new controller is just replacing the controller that comes in the P&C / Controller kit. Normal wireless controllers will continue to be sold, and will still be $50 retail.

How about those who want a new controller without a play and charge kit, but do want a better d pad? Oh wait, you can't. I accept the argument that this controller costs the same as a normal one, but then that begs the question why isn't it bundled with the systems? It's not like Microsoft didn't know they had a new controller when they launched the S units.

Basically they want you to pay twice to get the newest/best functionality. Once when you buy your system, and again to replace the controller.

Oh, and more for LIVE too...

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
How about those who want a new controller without a play and charge kit, but do want a better d pad? Oh wait, you can't.
Let's be real honest here. The only people who ever complained or had real issues with the d-pad on the original controller were fighting game players. But those players, the ones who are competent enough to know WHY they would want a better d-pad, are also the ones who would have bought a fighting stick anyway. Thus making this entire d-pad debacle a moot point.

I, personally, can't think of 1 game that I play where the d-pad gets any real use at all anyway, so I really don't care about this new controller. But hey, if it makes you all feel better to complain about stuff, go right ahead. This is an Apple forum, after all. I can understand why some users here might feel the need to upgrade to the "Newest and Greatest" thing, even when the current thing they're using is just fine. :rolleyes:

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Actually, Microsoft simply does not allow third parties to manufacture wireless controllers for the Xbox 360.

This is false, unless it specifically applies to controllers (i.e. hold in your hands, 2 analog sticks and some buttons). The Fanatec 911Turbo S wheel is wireless, and officially licensed by MS. I think the catch is that you have to use special wireless chips that use the proprietary MS protocol, which increases the cost. I'm not 100% on that but I could see where it sounds like a reasonable explanation. I think the corded controller is either for "hardcore gaming" purposes or that they did not want to incur the extra cost of using the proprietary wireless tech (the price of the 911 wheel is significantly higher for the one with 360 compatibility vs. others they make that are only PC/PS3 compatible, and a lot of that has to do with the MS licensing/tech).

Anyways, I'm back and forth re: the grey face buttons. I like the styling but also think it's wierd to lose the color mapping. If anything though, it probably seems like a very fast and easy fix to swap the colored buttons from a regular controller with the grey ones on this. But no this is not going to be a new standard going forward as this is really a "special edition" controller not a general update. I wonder if the new d-pad design will make its way to new controllers though...

They seem to state pretty clearly that this will only be available in the pack with the P&C kit which is too bad because I don't want it. It might be a good thing to pick up on sale though.

Ruahrc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.