New 360 Price in September

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by fiercetiger224, Aug 22, 2008.

1. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

So what effect will this have on Wii sales? Does anyone think it'll put a dent in it? :p What about PS3 sales?

You know, I don't think anyone has thought of this, but what would happen if Microsoft dropped the Pro and the Elite, and just had an Arcade rebadged as a standard Xbox360, and sold for $199. Just that ONE SKU, what would happen then? Wouldn't you think that thing would sell like hotcakes? The perception would be positive as well, since there is ONLY one SKU, and the $199 price point would be the selling point for the 360. Who knows if they'd make a profit off of it...

Anyway, I'm planning to pick one up sometime in October.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

[​IMG]

The 360 is cheap as hell in the UK now. £150, 180 and 250. That's nothing. A lower price here won't shift more units since it's well and truly in the right price bracket now. Wii's sitting pretty until demand slows down, so we'll likely see a price cut in 2010. PS3 needs to lower its own price is all and it needed it yesterday.

3. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

True dat. Nothing can touch Wii sales. NOTHING.

I'm just waiting for more triple-A Wii titles, as I haven't touched my Wii in months. Yeah, Brawl was fun, but I finished EVERYTHING within the first week of having it. For some reason, it didn't have the fun factor that Melee did. Maybe it's all the new stages that I don't really like. It's like they keep making the stages with "too much sh** going on". Why don't they just include ALL the old stages? I thought the stages in the original were still the best.

Anyway, back on topic. Sony needs to drop their price if they want to keep their momentum. Yes, they're doing good in Europe and Japan, but in the US, they NEED to drop the price. People in the US don't care about what you get for the money. They care about what they can get with the money they already have. They'll have great games this fall, but who knows if that'll keep their already steady momentum...

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They all have things going on in them! Brawl has Final Destination, Battlefield and that Animal Crossing level. Melee has that big Zelda level, Yoshi's Island and Final Destination! That's it for quiet levels :p use the level editor for quieter levels too ;)
    I find it amazing that you unlocked all the trophies! 2 months in and I still have a good 1/4 left to get :( and co-op events.

5. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, I know! I dedicated a whole week to playing it. :D It was my most anticipated game for the Wii, and then after finishing it, I just feel like there's no reason to go back and play it. Even playing multiplayer now seems boring. Maybe if I wait another few months I'll be able to have some Smash nights again. I remember playing Melee almost every weekend with friends. Maybe that did it for me...

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I played Melee almost every day since it's launch (even holidays! that Cube was so portable). Now I play Brawl every day ;)

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

wait, so what is the new price coming next month?

8. Aranince macrumors 65816

Going to be $199. I really want one. I played Halo 3 for the first time, it was really fun, as well as Gears of War. Hopefully I'll have some money after my MBP.*Prays for price drop*

9. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

No it won't affect Wii sales because people don't buy it because it's cheap people buy it because of the "arm waving like an idiot" fun factor. These guys won't touch the games available on the 360.

That would be bad because the arcade has nothing, even though the PS3 would twice as much it would offer a LOT more for the money, Arcade for $299 and 80GB 360 for $299 with the Elite (with a bigger HDD) at $399 would be excellent.

The 80GB PS3 at $399 was also a great move by Sony, it's a great value.

10. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I guess I bought my Wii because I loved the fact that I could do the "arm waving like an idiot" stance?! :rolleyes: Hahaha, I actually bought it because of Zelda, which ended up disappointing me...

Anyway, I somewhat agree with the assessment that even though the pricedrops do seem delicious, it might not be able to push sales enough to pass the Wii or even the PS3. Sony has some momentum going right now, as well as a steady flow of games coming out in the next year. We'll see if it's about price or value in the next few months.

I'm kind of disappointed to see that Infinite Undiscovery scored mediocre, I was actually looking forward to getting it when I got my 360 in the fall. But not anymore. :cool: Saved me another $60...Man there hasn't been a good JRPG in a long time.

11. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I meant the majority of Wii users or at least a large portion of them, I know more people that bought the Wii for the motion gimmick than I know people who actually bought it for the games like Zelda, Mario, etc.

I too was close to buying a Wii for Twilight Princess but they were sold out :eek:

Anyways, my point was, that the Wii sells good not because of its price but because it appeals to a certain userbase of casual gamers that just won't buy an Xbox 360, not even at $199 because it's complicated (for them) and has all these "geek" games as opposed to the Wii's "giddy" and "cute" games (again this from their perspective).

The PS3 is finally gaining momentum, I think this holiday season might just be "it" for the PS3 to finally beat the 360 in monthly sales (which it has done a few months here and there) and more importantly in total sales worldwide.

12. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know, I was joking around about the Wii. ;)

The PS3 is doing better than the 360 in worldwide sales, and just barely better than the 360 in the US. Hopefully the momentum in the US keeps building, and not slowing. I've seen more interesting games on the PS3 thus far, than the 360. I'm tired of the "more of the same", that the 360 has been giving us. Little Big Planet will probably change the way us consumers use the power of creativity, which is a very nice change. :D

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I say the price initially helped but the 360 is cheaper than the Wii here. Infact the proper Premium system is just £10 more than the Wii (play.com).
    The only price war is between the PS3 and 360.

14. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Just ordered my first 360, the Elite for $399 from Amazon that comes with a $60 Amazon gift card, so I am stoked. I'm a JRPG fan (when I have time for them, that is), and the 360 is just looking so good for them. Should be sweet!

15. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I have a PS3, but I must admit that this was a great move by Microsoft. Now, all machines have the price that corresponds to their real value (when you take into consideration the hardware in them). Well done.

I don't know if this will affect PS3 and Wii sales, but it will surely affect Xbox sales, and that competitive price will surely scare the rest of the companies, and maybe we'll see a price drop.