New 360?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Pathfinder55, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Pathfinder55 macrumors 6502

Now that the 360 has been out for about a year now, does any one think they will come out with a new one some time soon? Because I was thinking of buying a 360 for Chirstmas but i dont want to if it will be replaced soon.

2. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Well the new one doesn't have any graphic enhancements yet. I think we can expect a new 360 but not in time for this christmas. The current 360 is just a placeholder.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its quite possible that now the Elite has smaller chips than the regular 360, the regular one will be updated...especially with growing PS3 sales...

4. Pathfinder55 thread starter macrumors 6502

When do you think another one will be? Next Christmas?

5. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I don't know for sure, but it def will be available for christmas shopping.

6. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Replaced soon?
    It's been out for 2 years...??! :rolleyes: :cool:

They won't have a successor to it for at least another 2-3 years if not longer.

As for updated consoles, they only thing you will see is die shrink/hardware revisions; most of the current shipping models have 65nm cpus but the gpu is still 90nm because ATi is lagging behind in that department. 65nm gpu systems are rumored to be Q1 or Q2 (think: spring) 2008. Other than that there may be some more pack-in deals especially for the holidays but don't expect anything else. They're not going to start adding larger HDs or anything like that, not with the recent price drops.

7. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Actually, 2007 only marks it's second year on the market, and it didn't really spark off until last year. The fact the elite came out so early, however, was a little edgy. I'd be expecting bundle packages by now, but you'd think they'd at least hold off the Elite till Q2 08. This is a big gen for consoles though. The Wii is simply groundbreaking, and the 360 has in fact found it's way into many PC gaming regulars houses because of the games and features it offers. I'm not quite sure what to say about the PS3 yet...I'm waiting to see how it holds its own this season. Point being though is that holiday 07 is just really sparking off what these consoles are going to have in store, so to even think about a next gen console is far, far off. So Zero2Dash, if we even heard of a new console in 2-3 years that would be a remarkable to kill the lifeline of these consoles so short, especially ones with the potential they have. So Pathfinder, the 360 would be a perfectly safe investment this year. Beyond safe, it would be worth it. Unless the PS3 or Wii seems more appealing to you.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They will never just "update the 360" for better graphics etc. The only updates we'll see are smaller form factors, cooler chips etc. Things that don't affect the image on screen.

9. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

2 years, you're right. And I agree...I didn't buy mine til the week Gears came out and I used my set-aside Wii money. ;) But then I bought a Wii anyway this past Feb. so it's all good. :)

And I agree about prematurely killing the system and whatnot, the only reason Microsoft killed off the original Xbox was because the 360 was out by that point and the original Xbox was just an eyesore taking up store shelves to them. Since the 360 offers arguably (depending on who you ask) the best next gen experience I see no reason that the system won't be widely and readily supported for another 4-5 years if not longer. I don't think Microsoft will copy Sony's plan of "10 years" but nevertheless...I don't see support faltering anytime soon on the 360.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Any "new" XBox 360 will just be a slightly slimmer model that plays the same games. There's no reason not to buy one now; it'll be able to play the same games as any future model.

New games systems are released every 5 years. You won't see a "sequel" to the XBox 360 for another 2-3.