New 3G freezing on video

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FearlessFreep, May 2, 2010.

1. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Have a new 3G and am replacing my wifi only iPad. I restored my wifi backup onto my 3G and everything seems to work. My problem is that the new 3G is now freezing when playing video, making me reset the iPad in order to do anything. It happens randomly, but always freezes when playing video. Should I do a restore? Is it hardware and should I take it back?

2. mymacrumorse macrumors member

It happened to me once while watching something in AirVideo. I did a hard reset and it seems to be ok after that. I guess it's one off issue. But a fresh restore will definitely help, if it persists.

3. stealthman1 macrumors regular

4. Love Juice macrumors regular

hardware issue. had it on my wifi version. search my previous thread or do a search on the apple support forums. there is a 11+ page long thread on it. sux i know.

absolutely will not help in this instance. its a problem with video (was only for streaming with me). might be related to html5, i'm not sure. youtube, videos in safari, airvideo, abc player, netflix, etc. all would freeze within minutes.

5. me2000 macrumors 6502

My iPad is also freezing when playing video... It happens in safari, YouTube, abc player, etc. I tried a restore with no success. So I called AppleCare and she agreed I need a replacement so I'm going to the apple store on Friday to get my replacement! Phone call literally took 3 minutes. I love apple's support.

I also have a dead pixel on this one so I'm going to make sure my new iPad doesn't have any dead pixels.. (it really does ruin a device like this to see dead pixels)

6. jarvijarv macrumors regular

On my 2nd iPad 3G

I got my new iPad 3G to replace my previous one which was freezing during video, particularly on YouTube. Well, unfortunate for me, it's happening again with the freezing and having to hard reset. Are there more of you out there having this problem? :confused:

I'm leaning towards it being my Wi-Fi connection, but the Apple Store guys and I agree it shouldn't freeze the whole screen and multi-touch altogether. Yet, I was the first one to go in the store reporting this problem. :confused: Yes, I have done the reset and restore.

I am hoping an update in firmware or OS 4 will resolve this freezing problem. I really don't want to go back to the Apple Store again because the problem happens randomly, but annoying. :(

7. me2000 macrumors 6502

Apple genius did not want to replace my iPad for the freezing video... Of course I couldn't recreate the issue. He kept saying it was software related even though I restored it twice.

I then showed him the dead pixel I had and they did an exchange for me and gave me a brand new 3G iPad.

Funny how he wouldn't replace an iPad that completely locks up but one little dead pixel changes everything. I'm just glad I got a new one in the end. (after an hour of waiting)

This one works flawlessly. Perfect screen and I watched an entire abc episode last night with no freezing. :)

8. jarvijarv macrumors regular

Exactly my case, too. I couldn't recreate the freeze inside the Apple Store, but I hung around outside and sure enough I got a YouTube video to freeze and went straight back into the store. They exchanged it immediately. I have the ABC Player also and watched 15 minutes of TV, no freezes.

YouTube works fine, but it will freeze randomly. Try watching a couple of YouTube videos for about 5 to 10 minutes each. I bet it will freeze somewhere.

I'm optimistic, because the iPad is a new platform. As mentioned, I'm sure Apple will address this with an update in firmware or OS 4 later this year. :eek:

9. bosox2009 macrumors member

Sorry to say I too have experienced the video freeze randomly over the first week with the 3G iPad. I'm going to hang out in the apple discussion forums and see what the chatter is over there.

10. mymacrumorse macrumors member

I had the same issue and I had it replaced. I got a new one instead of the brown boxed one.

Check with your local store for your iPad 3G stock and if they have any then go exchange it.

I don't think there is a fix for it

11. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

12. rworne macrumors 6502

Or it's likely an issue with the underlying software. I doubt all those app developers are rolling their own codecs and instead rely on the built-in ones in the iPad.

Everything that plays back video will cause lockups. Any app: Movies, AirShare, Safari, YouTube, ABC. You name it.