NEW 3G iPhone: $199 Price Deception. The Gadget Guru Reports

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scooterman1, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

2. MojoWill macrumors 6502

not really a price deception just amisunderstanding you dont pay more than $199 for an 8GB iphone 3G when signing up to a contract.

the rest is service charges....

3. The General macrumors 601

Okay? This guy just told me everything I already know.

I don't think he understands - I have a lot of money and don't care how much it costs! :rolleyes:

I would pay $2500 for the iPhone 3G.

4. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

for once us in the UK have a far better deal than our friends on the other side of the pond:D:D

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

This guy's an idiot - you don't need "MobileMe" to use the iPhone...

And the extra $10/month for 3G is just AT&T shifting the iPhone to it's standard PDA Data plan...

7. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

Thats the spirit...Never say die !!!!;)

8. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

9. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Sounds like John Dvorak from your description of this guy.

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

C'mon - adding "MobileMe" charges to use an iPhone? :confused:

11. xploit macrumors regular

You guys are gonna pay that for a cheapened up iphone original with more speed and gps??? Go get em! This is a joke. That budget 3G phone should be a lot less.

X-

12. kvasir macrumors regular

This is the one thing that bugs me about this video:

I've added and subtracted features without a contract extension for years.

Now, changing your plan will re-up you for two years.

13. OpenWheelFan macrumors member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the subscription to MobileMe is Apple revenue, not AT&T revenue, right?

So, if you're trying to figure out where the subsidy gets recouped, it makes no sense to add in the cost of MobileMe! Heck, if the guy is going to compare feature-to-feature, then he needs to jump into the muck of the AT&T plan, since the additional $5/mo for SMS smells a lot more like subsidy-recoup than MobileMe does!

And, of course, he's saying that you have to go into an AT&T store to buy the iPhone??? Where's he getting that -- you have to activate at point-of-sale, but that point-of-sale can also be an Apple store!

And then, he's also claiming that one might upgrade to iPhone 3G in order to get the App Store and email sync... umm -- that's software (iPhone 2.0), not hardware (iPhone 3G)!
    sigh...

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

^^^ Plus, I don't know where he's getting his "free Exchange Wireless Sync" from. I assume his work.

Someone, somewhere, is paying for it...

15. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

People really do need to stop comparing the data plan changes as a price increase, it makes anyone who says it sound completely ignorant.

The new phone uses a completely different network for data. This network has a different fee schedule then the one previously used.

If ordered dial-up internet access, and then upgraded to DSL, would I claim they are raising the rates or would I realize I was buying a different service that happened to cost more.

There are enough real issues here without people pulling stuff out of their backside to try and make it worse.

16. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

This guys right!
    I've been using .Mac for almost 6 years! That's $594 extra! what a rip off the iPhone is!

17. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

:D

Not to mention the minimum $599 for a Mac Mini in order for you to sync it up to a computer... :eek:

18. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I keep getting annoyed about the big deal everyone makes about not being able to give one as a gift. Can anyone name ANY OTHER CELL PHONE you can easily give as a gift?

If you really really really want to give one as a gift then give someone a gift certificate for Apple or AT&T. They have to go to the store anyway. You can still even make it a surprise.

Even better, get them an iPod touch from an Apple Store and tell them to exchange it for a phone if that is what they would prefer. It is not as if you would be crazy enough to buy someone a phone unless they made it very clear to you that is the gift they want.

19. aerospace macrumors 6502a

I almost agree except you forgot to mention 3g is NOT optional. You can't choose to use edge only on the new phone even if there is no 3g in your area or if you don't care about 3g service.

20. elbirth macrumors 65816

What I think most people here are overlooking is... is that this video was posted on June 14, a mere 5 days after the announcement of iPhone 3G. He had very little information to go with just like we did. So to now call him an idiot when you're comparing the knowledge you have 3 weeks after the announcement to his knowledge just a few days after is stupidity.

Yes there's a lot wrong with what he said, but you can't crucify him for that based on what we all knew at the time.

21. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

But you're getting a new phone. When you get a new phone, you get re-upped for two years.

22. tritonj macrumors 6502a

the new price has nothing to do with 3G and that is where everyone is confused, the new plan simply aligns with existing plans, the old iPhone plan was an old retired plan ATT use to have, it was the exception not the rule. carriers retire plans all the time, old customers who had the plan can keep using it but new customers use the new one, simple as that. there is nothing evil or diabolical or under-handed about it, it is the way the business works.

23. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

No, it doesn't use a "completely different network" for data. It uses a faster one that is backward-compatible with EDGE.

If people who live in 3G areas get charged more for a faster connection, sure, I get it. But AT&T gives ABSOLUTELY NO OPTIONS and forces you to pay the 3G cost even if you are nowhere near 3G coverage. They also aren't offering any non-unlimited plans like I have seen many other international carriers doing. I noticed that my EDGE usage is 100MB/month. That's not even close to worth $30/month, which is one reason I'm not upgrading.

I think AT&T is going to have a hard time selling a bunch of phones with such things. Sure, you've got the "I'd pay $2500 for an iPhone!" crowd, but you also have the people on planet Earth. $60/month for a phone was a stretch. $70/month is above my tipping point, especially when those greedy bastards don't include any texts. For $30, you oughta get at least 50 free text messages.