new 3g iphone owners defending their purchasing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevjen888, Jul 20, 2008.

1. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

have you ever been questioned your purchase decision of the new 3g iphone by your friends, coworkers? i just received my 16g white three days ago and have been run into a ton of questionings. such as: " what? $90/ month for two years just for one line?", "you know they'll hack this in no time and available for cheaper price right?", "3g network overrated", the daily bug updates on the new 3g iphones, etc etc etc. they're mostly coming from previous gen iphone owners. i tried not to let them get into my head, but they're coming in waves, how do you guys deal with this?

2. cenetti macrumors 6502

This is what I tell them ;

This little device replaces my

-GPS
    -Satellite radio
    -Computer
    -PSP
    -Ipod
    -Phone

Now you tell me if it's worth it or not

Usually people don't know what Iphone is capable of. They think it just a phone with internet browser.

3. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

I've heard some of the same things. But why be defensive at all? Seriously.

Do you like your iPhone 3G?
    Do you think the 3G is better than the 1st Gen iPhone?
    Is the extra $10 per month hurting you financially?

If you answered yes, then who cares what they think. People just LOVE to rip other people. Just read these forums. If you like it, then be happy with it. I certainly am.

4. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502

about that Satellite radio, do we need to have subscription to listen?

5. jlanuez macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

I also tell them I bought our 2 new 3G 16gb iPhones for $634 - came home and sold both of our original 2.5g "year-old" iPhones for $600 on Craigslist. $34 to "upgrade" = great deal!

6. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

He's probably talking about using alternatives...i.e. Pandora, AOL radio, downloaded music, etc.

7. SMacDuff macrumors 6502

SMacDuff

I occasionally get people questioning my decision to buy one. They keep telling me that it's only a phone so why spend that much. However, I like having a single device in my pocket instead of two or more as cenetti mentions. What i get more often is that it is a beautiful phone but it is too big and heavy. Personally, I wouldn't want it to be smaller (maybe thinner ala iPod touch but not smaller). The screen is the perfect size for watching movies and browsing the net.

8. cenetti macrumors 6502

check out the applications called "tuner" and "visuaradio"
    I don't use pandora or aol...

Aol doesnt work on 3g
    pandora is mono .... both are useless ...;)

9. rappr macrumors member

The only person you need to defend a purchase to is your wife or husband, or anyone who's money is mixing with yours. In that case, discussion beforehand would have been smart.

Otherwise, what does it matter what someone else thinks about your purchase? You buy something because you want it or have a need for it. You don't have to justify that to anyone else. Period.

10. Ferris23 macrumors 68020