New 3ghz iMac vs 2.8 Single Processor Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tattoo, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Tattoo macrumors 6502

Both are in the same price range.
    iMac comes with a 24" screen (obviously) so Mac Pro is a bit more expensive after factoring a Monitor.

Besides the obvious "Mac Pro" is more expandable.....

Discuss performance...........:confused:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You say don't discuss expandability, but with the processors so close in speed this is largely what it will come down to. You can throw 4 hard drives and 32GB of RAM in an MP, not to mention expansion cards for various purposes. Can't do that with an iMac, in in the case of a single proc MP vs iMac, this is the main difference I'd say.

edit: oh, and it totally slipped my mind that the single proc MP still has twice as many cores as even the latest iMac.

3. Tattoo thread starter macrumors 6502

All your points are very valid - just wondering when it comes to my Wedding Video Business.....

Have about $2,500 to spend - and the New iMac is very tempting!

By the way, I love your Avatar!!:D

4. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

If you're talking brand new, you're considering a dual core Montevina iMac -v- quad core Xeon Mac Pro?

No contest.

5. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Since you're doing video work, I'd say get the Mac Pro. Rendering video is one are where extra processor cores definitely help. So much so, that if I were doing wedding video, I'd save up for the 8 core model if at all possible.

6. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

If you're using any programs that take advantage of multiple processors, the low end Mac Pro will be alot faster as it still has 4 cores vs 2 in the iMac. Also factor in the fact that the Mac Pro uses server grade processors, has a faster FSB, faster RAM and support for 15,000RPM hard drives and you have a system that is light years ahead of the iMac.

Plus who wants to video or photo edit on that glossy screen?!

7. Tattoo thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I might just go for the Mac Pro then...

8. remmy macrumors 6502a

you will enjoy being able to add an extra three drives as you need them which is very important with video work due to the amount of space they all take up.