New 3GS now or wait 2 weeks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fredf, Jul 15, 2009.

1. fredf macrumors 6502

I have a phone on order from Rogers (32g black 3GS) and they say it will likely be 2 weeks. I can go to the Apple store and get one now on my contract.

With all the problems with the phones that I've been hearing about should I wait the couple of weeks in the hope that some of the problems will have been ironed out with a new batch of phones, or go to the Apple store and get one this weekend?

thanks

2. SeanMcC macrumors regular

I got my 3GS on launch day and it has no problems with it. I don't think waiting two weeks will necessarily guarantee you a flawless phone, nor will getting one this weekend mean it will be flawed.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If by "all the problems," you mean what you read on here, then I would suggest you just ignore them. This is a forum and people come on here to complain (and ask) about problems with their phone. Not everyone complains, but you're going to get alot that do. So, if you want to go by these forums to make your decision, then you'll probably never buy any iPhone.

4. FuriousD macrumors member

Got my 32GB 3GS from the Apple store last week and it appears to be fine.

D

5. samcraig macrumors P6

That's because perspective is required when reading boards like this to understand - you're only reading complaints and from a handful (in the scheme of things) versus the 1 million + iPhone 3gs that are now in the marketplace.

I'm not saying some people aren't experiencing issues. I'm just saying that just because you see lots of threads on here doesn't mean the odds are high that you're going to have an issue with your phone.

Consider the authorship on here...

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The only thing I would suggest is talking to current iPhone owners in your area to see how their reception has been over the past year. A new iPhone owner will probably just gush about how great it is. :)

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

^^^^^
    Can't tell if this is sarcastic or not, and I have my sarcasm meter all the way up. And yes, I see the smiley, but don't know if that's just because he is happy. Hmmmm...

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I got my iPhone at launch day as well and its perfect (knocks on wood).

I see no reason to wake 2 weeks if you have the opportunity to upgrade now

9. TapOut macrumors regular

TapOut

i got my 3GS launch day black 16GB and i think the build quality is MUCH better than the 3G.. i love it..and i have not had any problems at all

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If a certain someone (he who should not be named) comes on this thread and tells the OP that the 3G build is much better than the 3GS, please ignore them OP. ;)

11. samcraig macrumors P6

Not just the build. But the earlier software!!!

12. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

I have a launch day 3GS and it is fine.

Realistically, any phone that you'd be getting in two weeks has already been made, so it's not like they will magically have fixed a problem by the time you get one. Lead time is ~1month, so you'd pretty much be in the same situation in two weeks.

Get one now and enjoy it.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The percentage of phones with issues is minimal. I got mine on launch day and its fine.

14. Mjmar macrumors 65816

15. fredf thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks guys. i will proceed, then, and pick it up this weekend at the Apple store.

advice very much appreciated. i actually don't know anybody with an iPhone (yes, that's possible) so i have no comparisons.

16. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Got mine yesterday so far so good no funky screen or wobbly buttons. Reception seems okay too. The only thing left to watch out for is battery life for me. I don't think the 3GS is a rev a product at this point. I could be wrong.