Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphoneuser-1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2012
Hello Folks,

I am a newbie to iPhone hacks and JB

I got a new 3GS (version: 5.0.1, Modem firmware: 05.16.05, First five digits of serial #: 87203) which was already jailbroken (i guessed because I could see Cydia in it) and it was locked to AT&T. I attemted to unlcok it using the SAM method and did not succeed. Doing some google later revealed apple has somehow blocked it. The phone was getting turned on but showed "No service" when i put my sim card in (I could not try putting an AT&T sim since I dont have any)

Then i tried to flash the firmware to iPad BB without paying much attention to the warnings against flashing firmware for iphones with serial number higher than 135 as their 3rd, 4th and 5th digits (mine shows 203) :eek:

I used redsn0w_win_0.9.10b8b to flash the BB. Everything was looking ok.. finally I got a screen which said something like "flashing baseband... do not interrupt" and then the screen went blank.

Now, no matter what I try, it shows the apple bootup logo for like 2-3 minutes goes black scree and again apple logo (loop?)

Is there any way to get it fixed?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
iPhoneUser-1234

braxton34

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Try getting into DFU mode and then run redsnow, hit jailbreak but do not select anything and let it do it's thing and see what happens??

I know sometimes when I install just the ipad baseband and nothing else it gets stuck on the Apple logo.

If it was a 8GB model from mid 2011 (or later) you may have corrupted the baseband irreversibly....

iphoneuser-1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2012
@braxton34: Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, it is an 8GB 3GS and if the serial number can be relied up on, it looks like 3rd week of 2012 (203). Anyways, I'll again try to JB using redsnow (without selecting anything) as you suggested and post the results soon. Hope I've not corrupted the phone :(

Update:
Tried running redsn0w again without selecting anything. But, I get a "Mounting rootfs as read-only... ERROR!" (during the process that's performed at the the mobile after dowloading the jailbreak data) towards the end of jail breaking. I believe that mounting error can be fixed if I enter DFU mode after switching off the mobile. But, unable to do that. I am able to turn the device off (by pressing home and power button together for a while) only when its not connected to the computer. When its connected to the computer the apple logo keeps appearing over and over again.

Anyone knows howto switch off an iphone 3GS which is stuck in a boot loop, when it is CONNECTED to a computer?

Pls help!

Last edited:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hello Folks,

I am a newbie to iPhone hacks and JB

I got a new 3GS (version: 5.0.1, Modem firmware: 05.16.05, First five digits of serial #: 87203)

Then i tried to flash the firmware to iPad BB without paying much attention to the warnings against flashing firmware for iphones with serial number higher than 135 as their 3rd, 4th and 5th digits (mine shows 203) :eek:

iPhoneUser-1234

If you flashed the iPad baseband to that phone, you fried the BB chip, killed the cellular radio making the phone unusable.
You cannot flash any 3GS made after week 28 of 2011 with the iPad baseband.

You can replace the baseband chip or send it out to be repaired.

b0bab0i

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
If you flashed the iPad baseband to that phone, you fried the BB chip, killed the cellular radio making the phone unusable.
You cannot flash any 3GS made after week 28 of 2011 with the iPad baseband.

You can replace the baseband chip or send it out to be repaired.

+1
Your phone is officially bricked. Your phone was made Week 3 of 2012. Basically a paperweight because you can't even get WiFi to use it like a normal iTouch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.