New 4.0 APIs for radio control?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by JulianL, Apr 9, 2010.

1. JulianL macrumors 65816

I'm just a user (albeit with a comp sci degree). I hope that people will tollerate my brief intrusion here.

Does anyone know whether Apple have exposed APIs for turning phone/BT/WiFi on and off? I know that it's possible when jailbroken but I'm hoping it will become a possibility for official appstore apps.

I really want to be able to get simple (non-JB) apps that I can put on my home screen for one-touch toggle of BT and WiFi and an app that would allow me to set a schedule to switch my phone into aeroplane mode and midnight and back to normal at 8:00am (for instance). There are a number of apps that can do this and more on Windows Mobile (e.g. location based switching and switching based on events in the calendar). I'd love to see Apple give developers the ability to create some great solutions for the iPhone in this area.

- Julian

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The entire 4.0 SDK is under NDA so we can't tell you.

3. JulianL thread starter macrumors 65816

Fair enough. Since Apple announce bits of the API at their launch events it's pretty frustrating that they won't at least publish a complete list of the new APIs while still keeping any discussion of how they perform under NDA but that's Apple's fault and you guys have to play by the rules so I understand.

- Julian

4. JulianL thread starter macrumors 65816

Does the NDA get lifted on release of the software? Are the 4.0 official APIs still under NDA or is it now legally OK to answer my question? If yes then I'd still be very interested in knowing the answer.

- Julian

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you go to developer.apple.com/iPhone what you can see without signing in is what is not covered by NDA.

I'll give you a hint. You are not the 1st or even the 1'000th person to think of this. 4.0 apps are now live. How many apps that can do this do you see in the app store?

6. JulianL thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. I understand the hint and appreciate the coded message. Maybe in 4.x.

- Julian