Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
I'm running Safari 3.2.1. The computer froze twice yesterday and once today. Since it's 11pm Est I can't call Apple until after work tomorrow. I wish I knew why it was doing this. At least it would make me feel better. I still have 2 computers, keyboards and mice on my desk! It's crowded! I don't dare dismantle my old computer.

Well maybe the new update to 10.5.7 will fix the freezing. If not I would be calling Apple right away.

maverick72

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Quick update..

After a my imac 4850 frozed i've installed all the updates without any issues.

Did a qui HD quicktime trailler ... no freeze

Installed WoW all night ... same all good.

Finished installing WoW this morning and did a quick check with the new Ultra settings. All good also.

Still crossing my fingers and toes.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Well maybe the new update to 10.5.7 will fix the freezing. If not I would be calling Apple right away.

This post reminded me of late 2007 when the last iMac freezing nightmare was at its peak. Back then you heard a lot of "the next software update should take care of it". That was right before Leopard was released and many folks were thinking it would be fixed with the new OS.

In the end it was only after several months and the issue was starting to be picked up and reported on by Mac news sites that Apple finally issued the firmware update that fixed it. As reported though, it was not a universal issue. You had to be unlucky enough to have one of the ones with the hardware problems. I dodged that bullet with my own iMac.

Let's hope this is not a repeat of that horror show but at any rate I highly doubt it's a software (e.g. Safari 4) problem. :(

doctoree

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
Secret lair/ Earthmiddlepoint
I kinda second your opinion. It's certainly not a Safari issue, and it will most probably not be solved in the upcoming version of OSX but it MAY be a relatively easy to solve quick fix in the driver. We will just have to wait a few days and see. But eventually only taking our machines back to Apple may be the solution.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
I'm surprised this hasn't made front page news of Mac Rumors yet. I was gonna order the 4850 this week, but now I'm not even sure. If it's overheating then there wouldn't be much they could do to fix this through an update. They'd have to rework the physical hardware to get a better cooling system in there.

Why can't they just make some better ventilation holes on the pack of this thing and add some quiet fan to suck the air out?

ObiWanAdobe

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
I have lots of similar problems with my 07 Imac (2.4Core2Duo, 4 GB). . . the more with crashing than freezing, though I do get the very occasional freeze. Adobe CS3 crashes about 3 times in a work day though.

I want to make the big jump to the 8-Core Pro. . . but for $3000 I dont want to deal with ANY of those same problems.

Where are the all the cures for the imac-woes??

kingofkev

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Freeze!!

Yeah the same has happened to me. i've had my new 4850 imac for 2 days now and it's frozen on me 3 times. All three occurred during easy applications like safari or quicktime. Think i might try running Boot-camp with more demanding games and see what happens.

Funny thing is, i have had my 2007 macbook since release and it has never frozen on me, not once. So when my new imac froze i had no idea what to do with thing.

I just hope that its not a hardware problem!!

Tymbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
small update.

I have refrained from playing WoW, and have been watching NBC.com's (compared to ABC's) episode player of a couple tv shows (still have a tube tv, so tv on the internet is more enjoyable to watch). Two freezes in a 2 hour period. I was watching an episode in full screen one time and when I hit escape, there was a sharp (very quick) animation to return the screen to normal, and that was a freeze. Tried replicating it, but couldn't. Later on came the random second freeze, while I was simply just lying back and watching the show, no cursor movements and all.

I have my second appt. with the Apple Store in 65 minutes. I'm going to make sure their keep it for serious testing or officially recommend an exchange.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Well, this pretty much seals the deal for me. With the amount of time that it's taken for the 4850 iMac to actually get out on the market, and now with the time it will take to fix the issues, I may as well wait until the next iMac comes out, which will probably be 4th Qtr 09 or 1st Qtr 10. Perhaps we will have Quad-core and Snow Leopard by then! I'm glad I held off and didn't pre-order!

My 3-yr old iMac is running fine...

Bryan

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Well, this pretty much seals the deal for me. With the amount of time that it's taken for the 4850 iMac to actually get out on the market, and now with the time it will take to fix the issues, I may as well wait until the next iMac comes out, which will probably be 4th Qtr 09 or 1st Qtr 10. Perhaps we will have Quad-core and Snow Leopard by then! I'm glad I held off and didn't pre-order!

My 3-yr old iMac is running fine...

Bryan

This is a serious pisser. Makes me consider sucking it up and waiting myself, or getting a GT130 equipped iMac for now and then reselling it in 9 months when Apple releases the next update.

GonzoRob

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
mine has frozen 5+ times... i think it's a driver issue

It's a total freeze, you can't do anything aside from pulling the power

Kalypso

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
I'd like to chime in to say that I am having the precise problem the thread poster is, with a new iMac with the 4850 card.

I took delivery on 4-14, set it up, ran the apple automatic updates, installed WoW and Adium and that's it. The lower I set the graphics in WoW, the longer it takes to freeze, but it still freezes such that I must do a hard reboot even on the default settings. It's extremely disappointing, as I bought the machine with those specs mostly for increased WoW performance.

I hope you post another update after your appointment, Tymbo. I'm extremely curious as to what they have to say.

Macole

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
Athens,Hellas (Greece)
That's what happen when you buy a nvidia m/b with an Ati card :rolleyes:

Serious now ..
Don't they do any F@#% test to their products before they put them on sale ..
Mac's are NOT pc's which every computer has different hardware.

I thgought that the specific hardware was the main reason for the stability and long live of Macs ... Seems that all that change ..

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
That's what happen when you buy a nvidia m/b with an Ati card :rolleyes:

Serious now ..
Don't they do any F@#% test to their products before they put them on sale ..
Mac's are NOT pc's which every computer has different hardware.

I thgought that the specific hardware was the main reason for the stability and long live of Macs ... Seems that all that change ..

there was a huge delay in these cards, so I'm wondering if Apple did test and then the final shipping version of the card was slightly different, resulting in all these problems.

If there is more than one Revision of card it could also explain why some have the freezing problem and others don't.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
The last time this happened (August 07 iMacs with the HD2600 card) it took Apple 2 months to acknowledge that there was a problem and another month to fix it. It was the timings of the GDDR3 video RAM that was at the heart of the problem. Apparently there were different suppliers so some cards would work and others didn't. I suspect Apple will be more on the ball this time.

GonzoRob

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
I dont think the crashes are graphics card stress related. Currently, my imac freezes mostly when browsing the net (firefox, not safari) with something running in the background.

I'm also having a funny issue with the wireless mightly mouse being laggy/ jumpy - very odd!

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
Has anyone called Apple? What did they say? What can you do (or not run) to keep from freezing up?

I for one will not play WoW. I only plan to use the stock apps that come with it for several weeks as I get used to a Mac. I am wondering if I should cancel the 4850 and get the 130?

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I dont think the crashes are graphics card stress related. Currently, my imac freezes mostly when browsing the net (firefox, not safari) with something running in the background.

I'm also having a funny issue with the wireless mightly mouse being laggy/ jumpy - very odd!

I could freeze my iMac by running the mouse over the dock. It took no stress at all to get it to freeze. The problem was still in the graphics card.

Macole

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
Athens,Hellas (Greece)
I only plan to use the stock apps that come with it for several weeks as I get used to a Mac. I am wondering if I should cancel the 4850 and get the 130?

DO IT !
It's seem that GT130 has NO problem until now ..

Apple should not let these thinks happens ,especially in such a controled environment as Mac OS x and mac hardware is .This is bad for the platform.

And it's getting BADer for someone who waited 2 months for the 4850 and maybe , who knows , another two moths fore the fix !!!

Prolif1k

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2009
DO IT !
It's seem that GT130 has NO problem until now ..

Apple should not let these thinks happens ,especially in such a controled environment as Mac OS x and mac hardware is .This is bad for the platform.

I am really strongly considering cancelling my 4850 order today, and going down to the Apple store near me to just get the GT130...I've waited a month and I am certainly not in a mood to get a computer with a faulty graphics card...I know Apple has a difficult time acknowledging hardware issues as well, and I'd rather just have an imac I know will likely be more reliable. I do game quite a bit, but the only games I play anymore are WoW and Warcraft III...I guess also Diablo 3 and Starcraft II when they release...

I dunno, what do you guys think? lol

GonzoRob

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
I am really strongly considering cancelling my 4850 order today, and going down to the Apple store near me to just get the GT130...I've waited a month and I am certainly not in a mood to get a computer with a faulty graphics card...I know Apple has a difficult time acknowledging hardware issues as well, and I'd rather just have an imac I know will likely be more reliable. I do game quite a bit, but the only games I play anymore are WoW and Warcraft III...I guess also Diablo 3 and Starcraft II when they release...

Dont do it :)

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008

Since you like to play games, I would wait it out. Give it some time to see how things pan out with the freezing issue. If it something widespread, I would think that Aaple would work on it around-the-clock to get it fixed. One thing's for sure: I would not accept delivery of your new iMac until things get sorted out.

Bryan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.