New 4G iPad only supports LTE in USA?!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chelmo, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Chelmo macrumors regular

After buying my iPad 4G (I'm from UK). I've learnt that UK will be using 4G LTE on 800MHz band and the new iPad only supports 700 and 1200 MHz. So it does not seem like there is any hope of using 4G LTE in UK in future on the new iPad?

Apple made different versions of 4G for USA networks maybe they should have made an 800MHz compatible version since this is what will be used in Europe?!

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

3. Chelmo thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I know about 3G. I'm concerned/unhappy about it not supporting 4G in UK in future

4. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Markets like the UK have not even auctioned off the 4G spectrum yet, so I think this is why they did not include such a version yet.

The HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA will work there though, if any carrier supports it. 42Mbit/s is still not too shabby at all.

5. Chelmo thread starter macrumors regular

Yes this does make it slightly less disappointing that there won't be 4G. We have HSPA+ networks running in UK so will still be an improvement from my original iPad 3G

6. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure this was known since day one (March 7) that European countries would not have a 4G compatible iPad available. IIRC, the reason being that 4G is not as strong? I'm in the States so I'm not fully aware of the 4G availability in Europe. However, in a quick Google search of "4G in Europe", the first few hits I have are "Why is Europe's 4G rollout so painfully slow" and "Europe slow to adopt 4G".

7. aka777 macrumors 6502a

I believe the 800MHz auction will occur at the end of this year there. So I am sure the next ipad will be capable of handling that frequency, as well as the other European frequencies of 1.8Ghz and 2.6Ghz.

LTE is so new in Europe that chipset manufacturers have barely had the time to develop these particular chips.

----------

Have they even shut down analogue television and moved to digital there yet?

8. Chelmo thread starter macrumors regular

It is happening later this year lol, that frequency will also be used for LTE. I doubt 4G will be ready in the UK in time for Apple to make the next iPhone compatible with UK 4G