Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Christmas is here early this year. I'm upgrading from a 6 year old 1080p Panasonic plasma to a 55" 4K HDR with Roku apps.

I've got an older model ATV (v2 I think) and although I honestly don't use it much outside of home sharing my digital movie collection from my PC via iTunes I figured it would be good to pair it with the new TV.

That being said, anything I need to know about the new ATV 4K? Just how awesome/bad is it?

TIA!

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Christmas is here early this year. I'm upgrading from a 6 year old 1080p Panasonic plasma to a 55" 4K HDR with Roku apps.

I've got an older model ATV (v2 I think) and although I honestly don't use it much outside of home sharing my digital movie collection from my PC via iTunes I figured it would be good to pair it with the new TV.

That being said, anything I need to know about the new ATV 4K? Just how awesome/bad is it?

TIA!

Congratulations man, although a Panasonic plasma will take a heck of a lot of beating. It was a mighty fine panel. Heck even BANG&OLUFSEN used them for their silly priced £15K TVs.
The Apple TV 4K is absolutely perfect in every way. Beautiful design, super reliability, super fast with the A10X chip nd now with 11.2 it does with auto frame rate switching & auto HDR/SDR. Add iTune with top quality picture from both 1080p HD and now 4K HDR it's a real perfect piece of kit. Dolby Atmos sound is on its way and then it'll have everything you could really need.
To me, the Apple TV is perfect. Apple have really got this right and for me, it's stress & worry free.
In fact, in my life, I only use 3 electronic gadgets and they are a new MacBook Retina, iPhone (now a X) and Apple TV. The MacBook is used as a digital media hub - photos, photo albums, music, music playlists, HD video and HD film. All work seamlessly with the Apple TV and iPhone.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Congratulations man, although a Panasonic plasma will take a heck of a lot of beating. It was a mighty fine panel.
The Apple TV 4K is absolutely perfect in every way. Beautiful design, super reliability, super fast with the A10X chip nd now with 11.2 it does with auto frame rate switching & auto HDR/SDR. Add iTune with top quality picture from both 1080p HD and now 4K HDR it's a real perfect piece of kit. Dolby Atmos sound is on its way and then it'll have everything you could really need.
To me, the Apple TV is perfect.

Excellent. Thanks for the positive review.

The Panasonic was a great panel.... forgot to mention it was 42". I waited quite a while but after 6 years it's time to upgrade. 4K is in a pretty good spot right now and the price was right. I'm getting a nice screen size upgrade in addition to the picture quality.

The Panasonic still works great and isn't going far... I'm just moving it to the guest room. :)

Looking forward to getting the new TV and ATV set up this weekend!

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Excellent. Thanks for the positive review.

The Panasonic was a great panel.... forgot to mention it was 42". I waited quite a while but after 6 years it's time to upgrade. 4K is in a pretty good spot right now and the price was right. I'm getting a nice screen size upgrade in addition to the picture quality.

The Panasonic still works great and isn't going far... I'm just moving it to the guest room. :)

Looking forward to getting the new TV and ATV set up this weekend!

That's superb to hear. Panasonic are incredible in terms of longevity - i've had 15 years+ from some of their products - I still have a Panasonic Stereo VHS VCR from 99 for watching old MTV The Real World tapes and 18 years on it still performs like day 1 :) Crazy!
I hope that you love your new TV and I hope that you get to try ATV 4K.
I agree, now is a good time for HDR - I particularly trust Apple who it comes to this - they never rush things onto the market. They've done it perfect by incorporating Dolby Vision & HDR into the box. Heck, most 4K UHD BluRay players won't play Dolby Vision! (only Oppo and LG currently).
Do let us know if you buy a ATV 4K. PLUS Keep your eyes peeled to the iTunes store this week for Black Friday. There seems to be some good price offers!
I bought iRobot in HD for £1.99 and we all loved watching it over the weekend. The picture quality in HD was breathtaking along with a real punchy sound! We all thoroughly enjoyed the evening very much :)

Reactions: TravisPNW

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
That's superb to hear. Panasonic are incredible in terms of longevity - i've had 15 years+ from some of their products
I hope that you love your new TV and I hope that you get to try ATV 4K.

Do let us know if you buy a ATV 4K. PLUS Keep your eyes peeled to the iTunes store this week for Black Friday. There seems to be some good price offers!

Glad to hear that about the Panasonic... I now have one in both guest bedrooms. :)

As for the ATV 4K, I bought it at the same time I bought the TV yesterday. Both are arriving this weekend.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55...dynamic-range-roku-tv/5878705.p?skuId=5878705

What I consider to be (according to the many reviews I watched/read) the best option in this price range. I wasn't looking to spend $2500 on a TV.

As for UHD... in addition to ATV 4K I also have the new XBox One X for gaming and UHD BR playback. Should be good to go for another 6 years. This TV is also highly rated for gaming so that was another factor in my decision.

Will definitely keep my eyes on the iTunes store. I'm pretty big on digital video. I ripped/encoded my entire BR collection and got rid of the physical discs last year. Was a flawless migration and the quality was perfect.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Glad to hear that about the Panasonic... I now have one in both guest bedrooms. :)

As for the ATV 4K, I bought it at the same time I bought the TV yesterday. Both are arriving this weekend.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55...dynamic-range-roku-tv/5878705.p?skuId=5878705

What I consider to be (according to the many reviews I watched/read) the best option in this price range. I wasn't looking to spend $2500 on a TV.

As for UHD... in addition to ATV 4K I also have the new XBox One X for gaming and UHD BR playback. Should be good to go for another 6 years. This TV is also highly rated for gaming so that was another factor in my decision.

Will definitely keep my eyes on the iTunes store. I'm pretty big on digital video. I ripped/encoded my entire BR collection and got rid of the physical discs last year. Was a flawless migration and the quality was perfect.

WOW, that's fantastic news to hear. What a great set up. I'm the same TV wise, I have so many outdoor hobbies that I really can't justify 2500 on a TV. I looked at them but every time, I just felt really sad as I knew that a purchase of one would not make me happy compared to a holiday, a weekend in Paris/Barcelona or a mountain bike etc :)

The X Box One and ATV4K sound an amazing combination.
Well done with the ripping - certainly not having to sit through copyright notices and trailers for other films that may not be of any interest is a great thing isn't it :) I must admit, I love having every thing in one place.
Although I love physical books and art :) But for photo albums, music & film, I love the digital approach :)
[doublepost=1511203456][/doublepost]
WOW, that's fantastic news to hear. What a great set up. I'm the same TV wise, I have so many outdoor hobbies that I really can't justify 2500 on a TV. I looked at them but every time, I just felt really sad as I knew that a purchase of one would not make me happy compared to a holiday, a weekend in Paris/Barcelona or a mountain bike etc :)

The X Box One and ATV4K sound an amazing combination.
Well done with the ripping - certainly not having to sit through copyright notices and trailers for other films that may not be of any interest is a great thing isn't it :) I must admit, I love having every thing in one place.
Although I love physical books and art :) But for photo albums, music & film, I love the digital approach :)

I believe that's a lovely TV. Mr4KUpscaler on YouTube has the same one :)

Reactions: TravisPNW

Chris King

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2018
In my opinion, 4k and hdr is GREAT but even though it is great and all I have the :apple: ATV Gen 4 and its great if you have an :apple: ATV Gen 4 I would keep it and not upgrade because it has a Thunderbolt port and it has no fan so that means its COMPLETELY quiet:).

Best Regards,
Christian ;)

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have been using the 4k Apple TV since March and I cannot hear anything from the ATV. I didn't even know it had a fan!

A good upscaler can make 1080p content look incredible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.