New 4S, can't activate, black dot (not a pixel), Siri issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gtp405, Jan 3, 2012.

1. gtp405 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

So today I got a little surprise, my iPhone 4S showed up. The first thing I noticed was awful packaging. The box the iPhone came in was nice, but the cardboard box holding it had NO bubble wrap or anything. The box just flopped inside. I was pretty excited but held my excitement and immediately transferred the phone to a ziplock back (it was extremely cold) to prevent condensation. After removing it from the bag, I started to set it up.

First off, the screen looks nice colorwise. I was nervous after seeing some complaints of warm and cold screen color. The first issue I have is that the phone will not activate, does anyone else have this issue? I have Verizon. It works just fine on WiFi and I have been playing around with it.

The other thing I noticed is that there is a black (small) dot on the right side of the screen. I don't think it's a pixel because when I turn the phone off I can still see it. I'm assuming it's some contamination, how do I clean it off without hurting the screen?

Also, I have played around with Siri numerous times in the Apple store, never had an issue with it. Now that I have it, I have to repeat myself over and over before it gets it right. Could there be something wrong with my mic? Or do I just need to give it time to learn? Like said, I have used Siri multiple times on other people's phones and it worked flawlessly.

I know there are a ton of threads right now so I appreciate replies ahead of time!

Thanks

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

For the activation, call Verizon from a different phone, they should be able to help you.

for the black dot, is it surface? Can you catch it with your fingernail? or does it seem to be under the screen? That's gonna have to be your call as to what to do there... Try to clean it off with a drop of rubbing alcohol on a very soft cloth (don't put anything directly on the screen). If it's under the screen, send it back.

As for siri... the novelty will wear off after all of about 2 or 3 minutes of playing with it so who cares if it works?

In all seriousness, wait till it's activated... Siri relies on apple servers. It *should* logically work over wifi but maybe it's designed/optimized over 3G (which you don't have activated).

3. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

I think for activation try dialing *611 from the iPhone that you are trying to activate.

Black dot? I'm not sure, if it's not on top of the surface, then it's either under the oleophobic coating or the screen itself. So try giving it a gentle cleaning to see if it clears up. If not then take it to an Apple store.

And I'm not sure why people seem to have issues with Siri. It works just fine for me, I've had only a few issues in areas with loud background noise, or if I was speaking too fast/jumbled. There is a certain way you have to speak to Siri so she understands, experiment with it, get to know it. I still find Siri extremely useful for setting alarms/reminders, texting while driving (speaking out text), etc. Like I said, try speaking a little slower, try pronouncing words more, maybe that's what people are having issues with.