Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zenit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Wife just got herself a new 4s for Verizon...I have an issue setting up a google account through exchange. For some odd reason the exchange is not synching email, calendars or contacts. When I open the email app it starts off not downloading any emails and then says that it cannot connect. The server I use is standard m.google.com. The same settings work fine on an ipad.

Right now I set things up through gmail field, but that one cannot be configured for push email, just fetch.

And suggestions on how to get the iPhone work with exchange?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Did you try deleting the entire account in Settings and just starting all over? Sometimes you might have mistyped something very minor but makes a big difference. Here are instructions from Google:

http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&topic=14252&answer=138740

I got this to work on my iPhone in the past but I realized that it was a big battery drain for me as I had multiple accounts configured like this. And you seem to have done everything right as far as I can tell. Only suggestion I have is to retry the entire thing.

zenit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
So i just tried setting up her account on my ipad and had the same exact problem. My account sets up just fine.

Very weird.

Google account settings seem identical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.