New 4s. Intermittently, people can't hear me when I call them

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DuckSoup, Nov 14, 2011.

1. DuckSoup, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

EDIT: I see I made a goof in the subject. I can't hear THEM, not vice-versa. I need some sleep ;-)

This is weird.

Got my 4S Friday in Syracuse NY, about an hour north of where I live.

Made a couple of calls on the way home, and not too many afterwards over the weekend, maybe a dozen, including one call to Apple..

A handful of calls I did make had one of two issues. Either when I hit "Call" it immediately went into speaker-mode as the phone I called rang (speaker field went blue and it WAS in speaker mode), and it STAYED in speaker mode even when I hit the field/icon to turn it off. The field went dark but the phone was still in speaker mode.

The other issue was at times when the phone did NOT go into speaker mode upon hitting CALL, I could not hear the phone I called ring, even if/when I had earbuds plugged in and when the party I called answered the phone (the call timer kicked in) I could not hear them but they said they could ehar me when I finally did make a successful call to them.

Today at work it happened many times and late in the day I also discovered that on the calls that I could not hear anything, if while the phone I called was ringing or after I see they answered, if I hit "Speaker" I could then hear the ring (or them talking) and if I then took it off speaker all was then fine and I could hear normally.

Called Appple tonight and they had me do a reset (no fix) and run some different sequenced backup and restore and that did not help. So it looks like I have to send the phone in.

Anyone else read or hear of this issue before?

Mike

2. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Sounds like you're pressing the screen with your face while you talk.. i thought iP4s had a better sensor to prevent this?

3. DuckSoup thread starter macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

No, not at all. I rarely hold the phone to my ear. It's usually the stock Apple earbuds, my Bose earphones, or bluetooth in the car. But when I realized I had a problem I just held the phone in front of my face to listen to the speaker more closely.

Speaking of bluetooth, I have not experimented this issue with bluetooth enabled.

Thanks for the reply though!

Mike

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Typical responses. It's the end-user's fault, not Apple's.

5. DuckSoup thread starter macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Not even clever, much less funny.

Mike

6. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Aw comeon I face press all the time on my iP4. But just do know that I read your initial post thoroughly and had already ruled it out. The symptoms are similar.. You're welcome for the bump..;):D

Kas is right; can't be apple's fault. Maybe it's Steve Job's ghost pushing the screen on your iPhone?

7. Colin20 macrumors regular

I had the exact same issues with my 4S. I booked an appointment with an apple genius at the apple store and they swapped it out for me right away without even replicating the issue. Just make sure you back-up your iphone before you take it in. Evidently it's an issue they're aware of because of how quickly they replaced it for me.

8. DuckSoup thread starter macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I'm sure I can do that, I just do not want to drive the two hours round trip and spend the 36$ for gas. So I'll go the mail route when that time comes.

OK, stupid question here, as I was never sure. When they have me send it in, can I just put the sim card from my 4S in my now-dormant 3Gs and use the 3Gs until the new 4S comes in and then put the sim card into the new 4S? Is that how this all works?

9. Colin20 macrumors regular

You cannot put a 4S micro SIM into a 3GS. I heard of other iPhone owners getting a replacement sent to them because they live too far away from an apple store. I believe they'll charge your credit card for the replacement one until you send the defective one back to them. That way you won't be without a phone for however long it would take for the replacement to reach you.

10. BriChi macrumors 6502

this seems to be a common issue unfortunately, There are already threads on this and even my friend at work has this problem. He has not swapped his out yet but that seems to be the only fix from reported users

11. maggie2222 macrumors newbie

problem hearing me

I intermittently have a problem that I am talking and the person on the other end suddenly can't hear me but I can hear them. I have talked to Apple several times about this. They have reset the settings, taken it to an Apple store and replaced the phone 4 times. Nothing works. I am hoping that the upgrade coming in the fall will fix the problem. I think Apple should give a monetary compensation to all for this. Yesterday it happened twice in the same day.

12. trouble747 macrumors 6502

I occasionally had this issue. Brought it back; new one hasn't had an issue.

I believe a temporary fix (which I read somewhere and seemed to work in my case) is to flip the ringer switch off and then on (or vice versa, I guess) when experiencing the issue.

13. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45