New 5870 or keep GTX 285?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 3587, Jul 27, 2010.

1. 3587 macrumors 6502a

I have a GTX 285 currently... I'm thinking of getting the new 27"... Would the new card be an upgrade?

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Also, there are similar 27" displays out there from other manufacturers (like Dell) that use the same panel and don't tie you down to using DisplayPort.

4. jeznav macrumors 6502

If you're going to use CUDA/OpenCL applications or using Adobe Premiere and After Effects CS5 then you can keep your GTX 285.

5. Mikey7c8 macrumors regular

Whilst true, in a case which boggles me the Apple display will end up costing you less for exactly the same panel.

The Apple display is a glossy version though, whilst the Dell isn't. If you want to go the whole way, there's a means of removing the anti-glare coating on the dell as well which supposedly makes it look amazing.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

There's more to a monitor than just the panel. The electronics used can make a significant difference.

Just look at what happens when companies like Eizo Nanao and NEC can do with the same panels in used in other vendor's models. ;) And a price difference to match, particularly the Eizo Nanao's. :eek: :p

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

8. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

True, but when you're comparing an ACD to a typical Dell UltraSharp, there's generally very little tangible difference in performance between the two monitors.

Although the 27" Dell does advertise a built-in 12-bit hardware LUT. That might justify the slightly higher cost...

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

This would be their justification IMO. ;)

10. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Haha, probably. :D

But given how often Dell runs rebate promotions on monitors, I don't see their 27" model staying at $1099 for very long...

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

Not just the rebates, but placing orders over the phone usually results in pricing less than that posted on the website as well (even when there aren't any rebates available at that time).