New 5k imac. Filevault causes slow mouse and keyboard response during login

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ecp77, Jun 25, 2017.

1. ecp77 macrumors newbie

just got my new 27 inch 5k imac. 1 tb ssd 4,2 GHz i7 and radeon pro 580 gpu. I have the new wireless Apple keyboard with numbers (the large keyboard) snd the new magic trackpad which i ordered along with my brand new 5k iMac.

I have enabled filevault on my imac and it took about a day to encrypt the whole disk but that was expected.

What was not expected however was that the imac now sort of hangs during login. When i first move the mouse and start to type type in my account password after I reboot the computer it takes a few seconds before the keyboard and mouse responds even though the boot process has finished.

To explain better: I reboot, and when presented with the logon screen i move the mouse and type in password and this is when the mouse and keyboard is non responsive for a few seconds.

So when i type in my password the first few letters are not registered before the keyboard suddenly reponds. Extremely annoying!

When i turn filevault off everything is perfectly fine. Ive tried a complete reinstall of sierra osx and have also run the disk utility to search for disk errors but nothing helps.

I seriously consider returning my new imac because of this issue, but as i have no idea whether it is a hardware or software related issue i do not know if a replacement iMac will even fix the problem.

Anyone else with the new iMac having the same problem? Will a replacement iMac fix the issue for me?

2. mathemabeat macrumors member

Is this the only time it stutters? Just during login?

3. ecp77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. It only occurs during login. very very annoying. you have to type in a few letters before the keyboard responds at all. same with the mouse.

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I think with FileVault enabled, the login screen appears prior to actual booting. As such, the system is checking RAM and initializing the Bluetooth and searching for devices (keyboard, mouse, trackpad) when the login appears. Your keyboard should buffer up the first few password characters and they will be entered as soon as the keyboard is recognized by the system.

5. ecp77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds plausible, but still VERY annoying. On my ild MacBook Air I do NOT have this issue at all, but that computer obviously does not have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Can anyone in here confirm that they experience the same as I do with their FileVault encrypted 5k iMac?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 25, 2017 ---

6. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I should have mentioned that my maxed out 2015 iMac has Filevault enabled and does the same thing, as do my other Macs with bluetooth keyboards. You are correct regarding the laptop which has a direct wired keyboard, same as my cMacPro with wired keyboard which doesn't exhibit this typing lag, although the Bluetooth mouse takes a click and a few seconds to respond.

7. ecp77 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you very much for your information. I guess there is no point retune my iMac at this point, as a new one most likely will have the same issue. Very very disappointing and not very "Mac-like" with regards to user friendliness. Extremely dissapointing, as I will most likely end up running my imac unencrypted.

But for the sake of getting a 100 per cent confirmation - anyone in here with a brand new 27 inch Imac who have the same issue?

8. macsplusmacs macrumors 6502

this would be an good applecare call. get this issue into their system and see if this is a known issue.

I too use FileVault. and I am about to buy a new iMac.

Hope you find a solution.

9. richard13 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be surprised if this is MacOS in general as opposed to FileVault. I have a very similar or same issue with my iMac which does not have FileVault turned on. In fact, I just discovered it wasn't turned on and have a question about it but I'll make that in another post.

10. macsplusmacs macrumors 6502

now that I think of it. I have been experiencing this exact thing on my MacBook Pro 2014.

I have a USB keyboard, the MacBook is in clamshell mode and I have it hooked up to a Dell 4K monitor.

I think I remember this only happening since Sierra?

11. ecp77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone with a 2017 imac confirm that filevault causes this lag on keyboard and mouse upon entering logon credentials?

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I don't have a 2017 iMac (my current one is a 2015 27"),, but it has always happened on my Macs with Bluetooth mouse and / or keyboard.

I agree it's annoying but I've sort of got used to it by now!

13. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

It seems like it takes 10-20 seconds for the Bluetooth connection to be established. Once that's established with my keyboard, I'm good to go. I'd say this is normal and happened with my previous Mac as well.

Nothing unique to the 2017 iMac.

14. dborod macrumors regular

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro that uses FileVault and there is no lag when using the built-in keyboard and trackpad.

I agree with the previous poster who surmised that the issue has to do with the fact that when you login with FileVault the system hasn't actually booted. The login is simply to decrypt the drive to enable the machine to boot.