Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tec972

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm coming from a mid 2010 iMac and just got a new late 2015 retina.
I am noticing eye fatigue from looking at this display. I don't know what it is about it. On my other iMac I could look at it all day and it didn't bother me. There is something about this new screen that is really tiring my eyes out.

At first I had the auto brightness option on but now it is off. I have my brightness set to one less than halfway from the function keyboard shortcut. Went into the color calibration just to see that there is nothing there to let me adjust contrast, gamma and color. What am I missing. I have also lowered my white point to 5500k for now it helps a little but something is still bothering me. I have also shifted it off the default color profile to the HD709-A because the default seems to wash images out a little. I think the default just does not look right over time and its straining my eyes quite a bit

I know that my other iMac is a little on the warm side for white point but its not only the white point thats effecting my eyes. I will have to check the profile on it and see tomorrow when I plug it back in. Did they remove the expert mode in OS X or is there a way to have a bit more control?

Is the refresh rate of this screen the same as the older 27" iMacs too?
Im sorry if this has been covered somewhere else. I will search tomorrow but right now I can't handle searching and reading through threads looking for a solution. Will try tomorrow when my eyes have recovered. o_O
Any help would be great

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I'm coming from a mid 2010 iMac and just got a new late 2015 retina.
I am noticing eye fatigue from looking at this display. I don't know what it is about it. On my other iMac I could look at it all day and it didn't bother me. There is something about this new screen that is really tiring my eyes out.
For me it's just the opposite, looking at the mid 2010 iMac I have tends to strain my eyes more. The Retina iMac generally helps with eye strain, but obviously it will vary depending on the person.
Did they remove the expert mode in OS X or is there a way to have a bit more control?
You can get it back by holding down Option when clicking "Calibrate".

Tec972

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
I know there should be should be less eye fatigue on this retina. It is a gorgeous display, but there is something about the contrast or something that is bothering my eyes. I guess it will take getting used too. I am gonna put them side by side tomorrow too and see if i can figure it out.

Thank you for the tip of holding down option, red heeler that should help.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Eye strain is a very interesting phenomenon. Have not experienced it for decades. But lately, using the same computers for many months, I started to have digital eye strain due to prolonged use. I decided to solve the issue and to protect my eyes with Gunnar Intercept Onyx glasses. Either I am getting older or just more tired. :(

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
My experience with eye strain has to do with fonts and whether your current eye situation. First, not sure if you wear glasses or not? this can be that you might need one or your need to renew your prescription. Second, fonts size: I work on computer all day. I switch from desktop with monitor and laptop all the time. I noticed that depends on how long I spent on wich systme with different font size. I have eye strain near the end of the day, and other time I don't. I started to play around with font size. if the fonts size is large enough even when can see the smaller fonts size just fine, the eye strain went away. I would try to change the fonts size and see if that would help.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
No, I don't wear glasses. And don't need them as per the annual check.
I had exactly the same experience as you ("I have eye strain near the end of the day, and other time I don't"). It was annoying to say the least. So, went the road I mentioned in my previous post.
I don't know whether it has to do with Font Size, but I remember having eye strain after watching videos in the evening as well. God knows.

Macmamamac

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2015
In expert mode squint your eyes quite when trying to make the apple logo disappear into the background. It helps a lot.

I wouldn't worry about the right sided apple logo, the important one is the one on the left as it improves the contrast.

Also, put the white point all the way back to 4,500 if using for print.....even if you don't use it for print, the yellow tint is much more natural and easier on the eyes than the harsh unnatural blue tint.

Once i knock down the brightness to just under half way i have a rich warm screen which matches almost exactly what i see on the printed page.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.