Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
My new 5K iMac has gone to sleep and will not wake up. This has happened twice now. This most recent time I plugged an external hard drive into the back before I realized that it wouldn't wake, and it received power, so I know the iMac was not off. Has anyone else had this problem? I have had to hold the power button on the back to turn it off and on again.

Thanks.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I had it shipped from Apple with 32GB. I will look into PRAM reset and SMC reset....

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
My new 5K iMac has gone to sleep and will not wake up. This has happened twice now. This most recent time I plugged an external hard drive into the back before I realized that it wouldn't wake, and it received power, so I know the iMac was not off. Has anyone else had this problem? I have had to hold the power button on the back to turn it off and on again.

Thanks.
Oh yeah. Dude

Of course. It's one of the reasons I bought the Fusion Drive.

I severely, severely dislike external drives. Not only are they inconvenient, but they constantly disconnect without reason, and will do things like freeze your computer. It happened to me recently actually. So we might be in a similar boat.

Wasn't happy about it. Let me tell you.

Given the fact that external drives are incredibly faulty, inconvenient, and unreliable, I think a Fusion Drive purchase is not in any way a bad buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.