New 5s 16 or 32gb? (stolen 5 32gb)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KoolAid-Drink, Feb 20, 2014.

1. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

So my iPhone 5 (32gb) was stolen the other night, and after working with AT&T, they gladly offered the 5s at the full discount, despite me being only halfway through the two-year contract. I decided on the spot to get a 5s 16gb, but now I'm having some second thoughts. It's a bit odd coming down to 16gb from 32gb, and I'm having a few concerns.

a) Photos - I don't take 200 pictures a day, but I do take quite a few pictures - maybe 400 every month? With the enhanced camera on the 5s, pictures probably will take up even more memory.

b) Text messages - I send plenty of text messages with pictures/videos.

c) Apps - I have quite a few apps as well.

d) Music - not an issue at all, as I'm Deaf and do not store or listen to music at all

What I do probably works fine with 16gb, but I'm a bit concerned about the longevity of my 5s - I'd like to have the flexibility of having plenty of space down the road, especially for apps that will require more and more space (some apps are 1gb these days!) and for apps such as Netflix, if I potentially am to use Netflix down the road.

I can easily move pictures, etc, off my phone onto my computer to free up space. That's not the main concern. I guess I want the best for my device, while saving money. I also read that 32gb (and all midrange-sized devices) has better resale value, so that's something to think about, also.

Obviously, it's a decision I have to make, but hopefully someone who had the same questions/thoughts can give me some advice, or maybe a fresh new perspective.

I bought the 5s from a AT&T store, which has the restocking fee, but I believe this is only for a return, not an exchange? I can always try and get them to waive the restocking fee.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!:cool:

2. 617aircav Suspended

It's not rocket science. This is what I always say, buy the best that you can afford. This way you will have no regrets.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

For photos you can always back them up to your computer or even a service like Flickr, Dropbox, OneDrive, Box, or some others that offer apps that can quickly upload new photos/videos from your phone (some almost automatically). That way you don't have to keep them all on the phone all the time and can leave just some or just clear them out every week or so if you want.

For messages, unless you really need to keep the history of all conversations, you can quickly erase them whenever needed. Otherwise, you can just delete the media from within them (assuming you saved whatever you wanted/needed already), although that's more of a hassle if you have quite a bit of media being shared.

For apps, you can mainly keep things you actually use frequently, and perhaps some that you would use occasionally, and not put on other stuff that you never or practically never use.

4. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

Good point. I can afford the 32gb, but I'm just afraid of wasting my money and not utilizing the best I can, especially as I had already paid $299 for the 32gb iPhone 5 last year, only to have it stolen.

That's why I feel so torn.

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

id get the 32, its better to have the convenience of not having to worry about storage space.

6. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

If you had multiple places you could place photos and other items if your 16gb iPhone became full (with the exception of iMessages/texts), would you stick with 16gb, or still want 32gb?

I sampled the 5s resale prices on Glyde - 16gb in mint condition + adaptor came out to be $388 in pocket; 32gb $449 in pocket. This is for today, the resale value will probably degrade after the release of the next iPhone, so...right now I'd benefit from $60 extra in pocket with the 32gb, but I don't know if it's worth it.

Ahhh! I hate being so indecisive sometimes!

7. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry to be that guy, but...bump. I really could use more insight!

8. DetTigers macrumors regular

Stop being indecisive and get the 32GB. I've had the 16 and when you run out of space it really sucks.