Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
I'm sending back my new 27' iMac core i7 because it can't run properly with 16gb of ram. Numerous people are having this issue, long story. Anyway ...

I'm going to get a Mac Pro. I'm trying to decide between the 6 or 8 core. I like that the 6 core has a faster processor. I'm a graphic Designer so I use the CS5 suite daily. Will the extra cores or faster processor work better for me? I'm thinking the faster processor would be better.

And a question about memory. Apple says the the 6 core can take up to 16gb of ram but OWC and others sell 32gb kits. Why do they differ? can the 6 core really take 32 gb of ram, and the 8 core says 32gb on apple but 64 on OWC. Whats the deal with that?

Any advice on these two topics is appreciated

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
8 core is 2 processors and thus 4 memory slots per processor

6 core is one processor, thus 4 memory slots.

Apple says weird stuff with specs possibly because they wont offer 64GB RAM. If OWC says 64GB, then it's 64GB.

The advantage of the 8 core is in RAM and nothing else pretty much. Will you ever need 32GB memory? If not, then just get the 6 core.

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
8 core is 2 processors and thus 4 memory slots per processor

6 core is one processor, thus 4 memory slots.

Apple says weird stuff with specs possibly because they wont offer 64GB RAM. If OWC says 64GB, then it's 64GB.

The advantage of the 8 core is in RAM and nothing else pretty much. Will you ever need 32GB memory? If not, then just get the 6 core.

OWC says the 6 core can take 32 gb, apple says it can only take 16gb.

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
Notice how if you go to the apple webite and customize a 6 core that you cant specify more than 16GB of RAM. Apple says up to 16GB of RAM because they dont offer 32GB for the single processor Mac Pros.

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
Notice how if you go to the apple webite and customize a 6 core that you cant specify more than 16GB of RAM. Apple says up to 16GB of RAM because they dont offer 32GB for the single processor Mac Pros.

Strange, not sure why they wouldn't offer it. Probably cause their price for it would exceed the computer price. OWC sells a 32gb kit for the 6 core mac pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.