New 64 gig and 100 gig iphones in Mar?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lblbnet, Feb 17, 2008.

1. lblbnet macrumors newbie

Has anyone else received a call recently from apple offering $150 off 64 gig and 100 gig iphones? My cousin sent my a text this morning and apparently the phones are being offered to current customers first and will hit the market in Mar/April. They have hi-def screens and can be directly connected to Tvs. The 64 gig is $699 and the 100 gig is a whooping $999. I'm sure there a people who will pay a grand for a phone, but wow, that is really high end.

2. B.A. macrumors regular

3. khosna macrumors member

4. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

No need to go through the provider. I can get oneof those for your cousin. Just have him/her send me a valid credit card number...

5. antibact1 macrumors 6502

I could certainly see Apple jump from 16GB model to 100GB model in a matter of months. Makes good business sense to me.

6. lblbnet thread starter macrumors newbie

He thought the same thing too but...

1. They didn't ask for any personal information and they are sending him and info packet this week (already had his address)
    2. The called him on his iPhone and already knew he was a preexisting customer.

Sounds odd, since they just released the 16 gb upgrade, but that is why I was checking on here to see if anyone else received a similar call.

7. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

might be that new 128gb ssd drive they are gonna offer as a $100 bto on the macbook air...

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

We'll all be here, breathlessly awaiting pics of that info packet that is on it's way to your bro.

9. dbwie macrumors 6502

Come on...

This is definitely a hoax. Apple does not call people on the phone in an attempt to sell their products. Apple does not send out info packets. If he does receive an info packet, it will certainly ask for his personal information.

10. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

It's a scam, Apple wouldn't be that stupid to release those kinda phones. 64GB is to expensive right now, they will wait for it to drop in price and not to mention it wouldn't be 100GB but 128GB so it's a scam. Also, they would go from 16GB to 32GB first, not 16GB to 64GB.

11. B.A. macrumors regular

Not to mention that Apple would not (need to) cold-call solicit someone for a preorder of anything.

12. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Have him send me his money instead...I won't promise him anything but the results will be the same. :D

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

There won't be a 64GB iPhone let alone a 100GB. Look at the MacBook Air. You can get a 80GB with a hard drive for $1799. Get a SSD with 64GB and the price jumps to $3098. Would you want to pay that huge amount of money just for that much more storage on a phone?

14. elmo151 Guest

I can get you a really good price on the Brooklyn Bridge. PM me for details :D

15. JCastro macrumors 6502a

What kind of price are we looking at?

OH...I thought this was a PM...;)

16. wizard macrumors 68040

While I believe the original poster is being scammed this reference to AIR is a really poor example. The problem is that the drive for the AIR is grossly over priced! That and the fact that there are implementation variations from the SSD in AIR and the Tocuh's interface.

8GB of NAND Flash memory can be had for well under $22 buck in large lot quantities. Going to 16 or 32 GB either requires a new mult level chip or a chip built on new process technology. That raises prices a bit. Still it is reasonable to expect an iPhone going to 32GB relatively soon at reasonable prices.

As far as 64 GB SSD the retail prices are all over the map. In part due to a wide variation in implementation but I believe also due to the desire on many a company to pay for their R&D costs on the backs of the first few users. The really bad thing about buying Flash based SSD at this time is that there is no way for the manufactures to sustain pricing so prices will fall quickly. In other words there will be a lot of early adopter pain out there.

Dave

P.S.
    Here in one place http://www.engadget.com/tag/SanDisk/ is some interesting information on Sandisk technology all rolled into one place. Sandisk just being one of many players in the flash storage field. Mircron and Samsung are other places to look for info on what the future will look like.

Dave

17. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

18. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

hmmmm Is this madracer2007/mad4mac surfacing once again? He's always been an outstanding and reliable source of accurate news. :)

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple does not offer pre-orders before announcing any product.

People have to learn to stop forwarding scam / fraud / fake emails, etc.

By the way, current iPhones can be connected to TV.

I have a 1000TB iPhone available for $2399 by the way... (of course there would be one person who would say: oh I'll buy it if it's 50% larger)