New 6s: Brighter Aluminium Part

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by timur1983, Mar 5, 2016.

1. timur1983 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

today I finally received my 6s and it's definitely a great phone but I recognized a little flaw on the back of the phone which seems a bit weird.

[​IMG]

On the right side of the apple logo the aluminium is lighter/brighter which is a bit hard to show on a photo so I tried to highlight the area as shown on the picture above.

Has anyone any idea where this might came from? Looks like the apple logo was treated with some kind of chemical and by wiping it down it left some marks?!

Thanks in advance and best regards
    \\T

2. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Never seen that before. I'd call Apple and see what they say.

3. timur1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response! Because the 6s besides this weird brighter part on the back has no flaws changing isn't an option.

I'm just interested where this other color might came from and if anyone else saw this "problem" in the past.

Thanks!
    \\T

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

picture is quite low quality.... could you post something better lightened ?

5. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

What do you mean changing isn't an option?

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

He probably think it's a minor cosmetic defect and he doesn't want to change a good product with one with a worse issue.

7. timur1983, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016

timur1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I meant, exactly. Sorry, as probably already registered English isn't my native language. :)

I also tried to take a better picture:

[​IMG]

The picture is a bit edited (more contrast) because it's not that easy to catch the color difference in the aluminum.

EDIT:

Just recognized that the part reflects light in a different way and also seems darker at a specific viewing angle as shown below:

[​IMG]

8. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Seems to me just based on how the lighter part lines up directly with the icon that it may be some grease or something that got in/on the apple logo, then was wiped toward the right side. I'd suggest cleaning it with some soap/water and see if it's still there. If so, and it is truly discoloring, then bring it to apple and they should take care of it.

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm under the impression it's something related to the polishing process of the anodizing treatment of the phone... If so, there's very little you can do about it: just deal with it or have Apple take a look at it (they will probably give you a refurbished unit).
    Your choice.

10. Damolee macrumors 6502

Because you've only just got it, the store will swap for new. It may put off a potential buyer in future.

11. timur1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both for responding!

As said before, giving away the phone isn't an option and it doesn't bother me as much as I would take the risk to receive a new 6s having more/other errors. (I sadly accepted that I can't have a 100% flawless iPhone :()

Having that said I'm still curious if anyone knows how the apple logo is polished or if anyone has a concrete idea of this effect.

Summarized: It's not about "solving" the problem, it's about what might caused this quite unusual discoloration of the aluminium.

Thanks! :)

12. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I always thought the logos on the 6 and 6 plus were that "liquid metal" stuff. This was to help reduce scratches. That's part of the reason I cannot think how this could happen. If it's chemically polished or something like that I can see how the mark could get there.

13. Damolee macrumors 6502

Seriously, just take the phone back. It isn't normal so why settle? Too expensive a device to put up with.

14. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I agree. The odds of getting a bad one are very slim. Remember millions are sold every week and you only hear of a few of them on here with quality issues.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It's obviously up to you, but you can absolutely have a flawless phone. If you're happy with everything going else about it I don't see why you're convinced that you can't find one that meets all of your criteria and doesn't have this strange smear in the back.

First of these I've see on here for sure. Apple is great about replacing devices. All of my phones have been flawless since my 3gs purchase. That I had a bunch of dead pixel and cracked speaker port issues. Been well over five years of nothing but happiness.

Again, completely your choice.

16. Damolee macrumors 6502

My phone is flawless. So was my previous 6, and the 5S before that.

Only my 4 had the death grip thing and I had to use a bumper to alleviate it.